What to do to get shrub stumps to die??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 850-R, Aug 6, 2004.

1. 850-R

850-R LawnSite Member

I have a customer that I maintain a walk way for him. There are several little scrub trees that have been cut down for a while but every week I come back there are little sprouts coming off of the stump. I have tried to spray roundup on these stumps but no luck the same thing the next week. I thought about one of those propane torches... but is there some chemical that will work?? Short of digging them up what can I do??

Thanks

2. lawnmowingboys

lawnmowingboys LawnSite Member

I fray the end of the stump with a small axe and then pour unmixed, full strength Roundup on the frayed end.

The middle of barked plants transport water and nutrients between the roots and the chlorophyll in the leaves. Putting the Roundup directly into this "Channel" will stop its growth.

I had the same trouble with a shrub root and in moment of frustation (that's when I beat the top with the small axe), I discovered that this works. The shrub stump is still there today, but it is not growing!

3. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

Take a battery drill and drill holes in stump and pour 2-4-D into the holes works better than roundup.

4. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Mix a small amout of diesel, round up & soap, paint on with brush. Works great.

5. rockhouse

rockhouse LawnSite Member

Water the shrubs daily. Fertilize them monthly. Give them plenty of attention & care.
    That should do it.

6. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Look for Pathfinder II. It is a ready-to-use mixture that includes trichlorpyr. Very effective up to a month after cutting a stump. Recut and treat the sprouts and the outside 1-2" of the stump and that should do it. Neal

7. furball3

furball3 LawnSite Member

:D

IT does make sense to me.