What to do What to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Nov 8, 2003.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Ok trying to make the best residential machine hauler I can for the money and have the time this winter to do so. so with that said here it is. All opinions are welcome.

I have been contemplating this for a while and have an Idea what I am going to do but figure I will put it in front of a few faces first.

First I guess I should say what it is going to haul.
    1-36"
    1-52"
    1-21"
    Two garbage cans
    misc. rakes, shovels and such
    edger 2 blowers 3 trimmers.
    other misc stuff you carry with you.

1. Buy a new trailer with all the gizmo's for hauling mowers/blowers/ trimmers and such. estimated cost for 7x14 and all the gadgets is 2700.

2. Manufacture a flat bed for my old 4door 1 ton truck(long bed 8') in such a way to extend the bed out 3' and add a drop down gate. this would give me a 11'x6' roughly. estimated costs to rig this up would be around 3000 with all the gadgets and such. every thing should fit on it.

Pros for 1. is that I can pull with any vehicle.
    pros for 2 is that I have no trailer following and I can go more places that I can't even get my 5x10 trailer into.

cons for 1 is turning around and backing up( yes I can back up a trailer but you have more accidents backing a trailer than a regular vehicle).
    cons for 2 is getting all the DOT certs for the extension of bed. and if the truck breaks you are scre@ed.

Has any one tried #2?
    Thank you in advance.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with the trailer. You may be able to do it cheaper if you get a basic trialer, and buy/build racks for everything. What do you do with brush, tree limbs, ect when all your equipment is in your truck? I did do that for a while long ago, but only because i had to.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Go with the trailer. Do you really need a bigger trailer?

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My vote is trailer. You mention the truck being "old". Not good to depend on something that is older/more worn out if you don't have to. Plus as you mentioned, a trailer would be more versatile.

Just curious why you'd want a 7' wide trailer? Mine's 6.5' and the total width after the wheels is 8' and I have a hard time with it on some narrower roads, alleys, drives, etc. I'd like the added deck space but after you add the wheels 7' would be too wide for me. Hmm. maybe a top deck trailer with the tires under the deck and a dovetail on it to lower the loading height?

If you are building the trailer, use square tubing not angle iron at least for the frame if not the side rails too. Trailers made of angle iron just flex too much for my tastes :dizzy: Oh put electric brakes on it and tandem axle would be nice too.
    I'm thinking about doing something with my trailer this winter. Good luck :)

5. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

trailer

6. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

Quote>>>>Just curious why you'd want a 7' wide trailer? Mine's 6.5' and the total width after the wheels is 8' and I have a hard time with it on some narrower roads, alleys, drives, etc. I'd like the added deck space but after you add the wheels 7' would be too wide for me. Hmm. maybe a top deck trailer with the tires under the deck and a dovetail on it to lower the loading height?

I have a 7ft deck and after fenders it is 8 1/2 ft wide. (Legal Limit) Tires have legal 3/8 in over hang also. The only problem is cops around her are :realmad: and will get you for over width because the license plate hangs out an inch or tow past the fenders.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Ended up buying the trailer. bought a 6.5x12 and modified it a bit to carry a tool box. played down the 52 this year and will probably buy one next as I gain larger properties. 6.5 is wide and barely fits through my garage door.