What to do when it rains a ton after you pull pipe

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by grassman177, Sep 1, 2012.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

hey guys, as you know we are starting to install systems, from doing maint for many years.

i have a system to go to next week that we pulled pipe in the other day.

it is pvc, a good 10 in down on average. very hard soils

now, it has rained in inches for the first time in months, and i am unsure how we are going to be able to push and pull the pipe back and forth to join fittings and Ts for valves etc. got me a bit worried.

any advice or suggestions?

Thanks buds:drinkup:

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Use poly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

This^^^^^^^

4. grassman177

i can get your point, but from a service standpoint i am always hating the poly, it gets pulled apart, and cut too easily.

plus, i am talking mainline moslty. you would not do poly mainline would you? and how would you secure the valves and such so it doesnt leak? on a main...if you used it>?

i know of most of the fittings available for poly, but dont see how they dont leak a little bit, especially if used for a main.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

poly is just fine for constant pressure in well installs - nothing inherently flawed about the material

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on your psi..

I was on a job yesterday where the grudfos said 40 psi

and the psi gauge on the well ball valve said 100+ psi...you beccha we were blowing fittings... mainline and zone line..I really didn't want to walk away but the planters were there...

7. Wet_Boots

100+ psi would put the poly itself at risk, if it was utility grade in a mainline.

8. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry no advice from us we are poly here on the cape.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Wet_Boots

If I had a supply exceeding 100 psi, i would up the psi rating on the mainline poly.

10. grassman177

here, everyone is either all pvc, or pvc mainline and poly laterals. some are using what i think is pex only, which i am only slightly familiar with.

pvc is better imo, due to our very rocky soils. like i said, from a repair standpoint from years of doing it, i could see what is the most durable in our soils and conditions. poly is pretty nice, easy to work with really, but have seen it punctured so many times I could not justify using it myself.