What to do with a real CROOK???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Country Downs, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Country Downs

Country Downs LawnSite Member
    from OR.

Do not know what good this post will do but maybe one of you will know???
    I have been in business for 14 year now in oregon and have to deal with ellegal hispanics who go back to mexico in the winter but people love em for there low low prices!!!!
    But worse yet is a guy that had a lawn maintenance business that was pushing $270,000 a year the last 6 years they were in business they did not pay any taxes and the IRS got hold of him and some how he did not go to the fed. pen??? now he has been back in business for the last 6 year offering low prices and running a 3 man crew and paying them under the tabel!!!!
    now I have called the IRS about him ( i do not like to say i did this but what can you do???) i gave what info I could get and they said they would investigate!!! but still he is still at it and for the last 3 years i have call the IRS and all i get is yes we have a file on him thank you???? what else can be done?????
  2. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever heard the saying "money makes the world go round"? Well this is a prime example. What can you do......? Good luck! With that guy im a federal penn., What good is he to the IRS? He's not making them any money in there. The same thing happen to a family member of mine, Except it was ALOT more money. He's is paying them off BIG BIG time.
    Anyways why is it that you want to take all of this time to bust him? Take that time and better yourself and your business. Trust me he didnt really catch a deal? He's paying BIG time, trust me.
  3. Organix

Organix LawnSite Member

Well he may not have gone to jail because he the let him off with probation and paying back taxes and penalties. They may have not had enough proof to prosecute him. How do you know he pays them under the table?

The IRS has been cut way back, they don't have much enforcement staff. Maybe try a your state income tax service, they may be more willing to enforce it. There may be some local enforcement agency too. I would just make sure you know what your talking about and you should be prepared to testify and all that good stuff.
  4. Country Downs

Country Downs LawnSite Member
    from OR.

well how i know he pays them under the tabel my wife plays card game with one of the guys mothers and she is not very happy about it as for testifing i have aggreed to that too!!!
    as for not to worry about it well i can say this when you go to retire and social security say sorry we have no money to give then think back about all then people that cheated or did not pay taxes??? taxes if we like it or not is what pushes the USA along
    if the goverment did not get tax money do you think you would still own a business how many of your business account would fold with out that goverment money most get ????

hey i might be wrong!!!!!!!
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I would really channel my energy in another direction. This happens everywhere-everyday.

Nothing is going to change.......when he goes there will be another one to replace him, maybe more. I guess in a way you should be happy that it's only him and not the entire family all there running illegitimate businesses.

If you could make a difference then I'd say continue on but you've heard the responses your getting.........move on.
  6. Dependable Lawncare

Dependable Lawncare LawnSite Member

The root of the problem is with the consumer. By hiring this company they are saying "We endorse illegal immigration". To save a few bucks Americans are willing to put each other out of work. National pride ends when the wallet opens.
  7. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I say continue the fight. Unless we stick together and continue to police our industry there will be others. If I knew I could do this and not get caught I would do it too.
    Thats just an opinion lol I would never do that. I have more respect for myself and my country than that.
    These people give our industry a bad name and its time to put them out of business.
    The dont get involved attitude is what keeps these people in business. Before you know it there will be more and more and more of them, until we all get put out of business.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I agree with Homer. Better yourself with this knowlege and rise above. After you get him off the streets, another one will come along.

Good luck
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't stand up for what you believe to be the right and moral then no one else will. By the same token you have to be willing to know when it is time to hang it up and move on. Don't spend all of your time on this matter and let it get to the point that your business suffers. Take this as an opportunity to talk with your customers and let them know how hiring people who have these business practices hurts all Americans. Best of luck to you.

10. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with precision, take all the time you're wasting on that guy and put it towards bettering you're business. Just my opinion.