1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What To Do With Cheap Customers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawn crafters, Jun 16, 2008.

1. lawn crafters

lawn crafters LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

i have a customer for lawn care and every time i ask her to cut it (because they dont want weekly) she always says its not long enoughwhen it really is like almost a foot high. what whould you do in a situation were you cut every 16 days

2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

if it fits in your schedule and you can make money,if not dump her.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Every 16 days? I would never agree to a schedule like that, every time that I would mow would be a different day of the week. That lawn really sounds like a pain. If you can get them to switch to every 14 days then do that but if not just drop her.

4. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I offer 7 and 14 day contracts, so not a huge deal to me.

5. lawn crafters

lawn crafters LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

well the problem is she is my neighbor

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I offer 7 and 10 day contracts 14 days is way to long between mowings especially in spring and early summer. This year all it does is rain and every 10 days seems like a long time between mowing, after 7 days the grass is already to long.

7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

drop her. the situation will never get better.

8. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

neighbor or not, no longer than 14 days, if not, drop her.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I'd let her know when it needs to be cut. Thats why they hired me. I always tell them ahead of time that it will be every week until growth slows down and them I'll decide if it needs mowed.

10. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

if she's your neighbor and you don't have any drive time with the truck, just mower, i would keep her, but cut it when you have time...she calls and said she wants it done, tell her when you can fit it in your schedule, but cut it a little higher! LOL thats easy money there! i have a few like that, sucks i know, they call when they think its time, but when i cut it, its cut high...still looks good because its so freaking tall, any height you cut it will make it look good!