What to do with clumped up grass under the mower deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tynash, May 30, 2003.

1. tynash

tynash LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

I have a 52 inch Lazer Z HP and have had the worst time with grass clumbing up under the mower deck and effecting how my discharge works. Does anyone have any solutions on how to fix that problem. I have to get under my mower several times per day in some cases, especially when it is wet, with a puddy knife and scrape off the old grass.

This just drives me crazy. The grass tends to clump up when it is like that because it is effecting the airflow underneath.

HELP!!!

Thanks.

2. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've lifted my deck 1/4" in the back and this made a big difference. I have a Lazer Z 52" 27 HP and all I had to do was loosen the rear deck support chains and move the bolt up in the slot, yours should be similar, but for really thick lawns I also have a powerwasher :D

3. LA LAWNS

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

USING A 60 LAZER FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS. jUST SCRAPED THE DECK FOR THE FIRST TIME, THIS WEEK. I NOTICED NO GRASS COMING OUT ON THE PREVIOUS JOB. NEXT JOB I PARKED MOWER HANGING OVER THE TRAILER RAMP. LOOKED IN TOOLBOX FOR SOMETHING TO SCRAPE WITH. AH HAA! AN EDGER BLADE MAKES A WONDERFUL SCRAPER. AS FAR AS WHAT TO DO WITH THE MUDDY GRASSY BLOBS, FLAT SHOVEL INTO THE EMPTY LOT NEXT DOOR OR BAG IT.
    LA LAWNS

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well....My deck can be ran 4 ways...

#1- Open, no front baffle, side discharge
    #2- Baffled side discharge
    #3- Baffled mulch kit
    #4- Fully baffled mulch kit, 3 indiviual chambers

When I first got my Z I ran it open w/OEM higlifts, side discharge, because for some reason mine shipped less the front baffle and my mulch kit had not arrived yet. In the wet it would go OK for a while. But it would eventually form it's own baffle by packing up wet grass. Then like you, my discharge would get effected and it would not scatter the clippings enough.

Time for the puty knife :cry:

Since my mulch kit arrived I've been running it the #4 way. I have no clumps to deal with and I don't have to clean the deck any more often than before. So I've left the kit installed. I keep a 5 gallon bucket w/lid on the back of my truck. When I need to clean, I pull on the trailer, lift the front of the Z by hand and sit it down on a 4x4 cut to lenght just for this. I scrape it out, put it in the bucket and dump it somewhere.

I need to fine a back saving way of lifting the Z before I mess up one day and hurt myself lifting it. Maybe 2 old bumper jacks or something?

It's times like these when you think...man an outfront with a flip up deck sure would be nice....

DieselDeere,

Do you know why lifting the deck in the rear helps or is it just one of those "don't know why, but hey it works" things?

I only have maybe 1/8" of pitch right now.

5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Scrape it off and spray it with some Mo-Deck. Some people might tell you that Mo-Deck doesn't work, but it does. You have to use it more than once. After several applications of Mo-Deck you will see less buildup and any buildup is very easy to scrape off.

6. U-SteppedInDogPoo!!

U-SteppedInDogPoo!! Guest

Is Mo-Deck similat to Pam cooking spray?

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Yes I used to say Mo Deck did not work that well...well with this wet spring I've tried everything and MO Deck does improve things. WHile the grass does still stick a bit after allot of mowing, it comes off real easy with Mo Deck...and as said above, the more you use it, the better it works...I will be buying more so I eat my words about it not working

8. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I tried pam once! The gnats that followed me around were enough to make me want to jump off my mower! Now I buy some stuff that sears sells for about $6 a bottle. I've never used MO-deck but the stuff I have works. I can't recall the name right now but I'll post it later. You use it the same way but it isn't aerosol its a pump sprayer. I've only found it at their hardware stores.

9. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I was having the same problems....... I am now running doubles at least through the heavy growth season..... Cut one of my lawns the other day, while another LCO cut next door..... same amount of growth (same mowing schedule, similar lawns)

I ran through the front yard at the same speed the other guy did on his, then he double cut the front while I moved on to the rear..... When I was done, I looked, and my customer's lawn looked better from my single pass with doubles than the lawn next door, which had been double cut!

I spent the afternoon Wednesday trying some different blade combos on my own lawn..... Mulchers over high-lifts seem to work best...... small clippings, wide discharge area..... still some clumping in real heavy growth, but fewer smaller clumps..... often only falling when I dis-engage the deck...... blow them to scatter, or use flat shovel to move.
    Mulching blades I'm using are like Gators, but direct airflow outward, not inward like the Gators do.

I do think the Tri-Vantage deck delivers a better finished cut with single blades when possible, but not in high/thick growth.

Try the doubles, don't forget to raise the cut height 1/4" to compensate for the extra blade thickness.....
    I also installed the anti-blowout baffle last year..... helps reduce blowout from left front of deck.... especially with doubles.

Good Luck!!

10. LA LAWNS

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

WHOA WHOA WHOA. WHAT BLOW OUT BAFFLE? PLEASE SHARE SOME INFO. I'M SICK OF EATING CLOUDS OF DUST.
    ALSO, IF YOU PUT 2 BLADES ON ONE BOLT, HOW DO YOU KEEP THEM FROM SLIDING AND TOUCHING WINGS? DONT YOU WANT TO KEEP THEM IN AN "X" FORM? THANKS FOR YOUR INFO...
    LA LAWNS
    O YEAH, WHAT ABOUT KEEPING THEM BALANCED?
    LA LAWNS