What to do with excess poly & PVC pipe?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by matt spinniken, Oct 4, 2011.

1. matt spinniken

matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member

My shop is starting to drowned in scrap pieces of pipe. We only need so many 50 ft pieces for service, does anyone recycle poly pipe or have any other uses for it? My crews are careful to not waste pipe but each install has a few pieces left over, and now I have thousands of feet of small pieces.

2. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If they are 50' or so, why can't they be reused? At least on most residentials, that would be almost enough between 3 rotor heads (spaced 25-27 feet), and 4-5 spray heads (spaced 10-15 feet). Seems those are perfectly good pieces to still use.

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Ya. Time to use some couplers on the lateral lines. For. Us I say at the end of thatyear. Inventory there will be 50 to 100 feet ot scrap pieces of Pvc and poly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Tell your employees that their bonus is in the giant heap of pipe. Use the pipe!!

6. matt spinniken

Couplings...genius. I can't believe I did'nt think of that. The bonus idea is a great one two, my guys are going to be excited! :)

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Do you trench or pull? I wouldn't pull with a coupler in place, unless it is triple clamped. I would use it in between heads and tees. Or from an inline tee (IxIxF) to an end ell. (IxF)

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You can melt down the stub ends and make candles :)

9. matt spinniken

We pull in our pipe, I was thinking of using the bigger pieces for hand digging areas. We are working on a install now that is mostly hand digging. It does make me nervous to pull in pipe with couplings.

10. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't say I do it all the time but I do pull coupled poly. I have never had problem. I run a 2" trailing bullet so there is plenty of room for the clamps to pass.
    Posted via Mobile Device