What to do with gap between paver and foundation?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Garyl53, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Garyl53

Garyl53 LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I rebuilt a very small walkway (3'X8') using the existing brick. After I packed the brick tight I ended up with a 1 inch gap between the last row and a foundation wall. Should I cut some thin pieces of brick to fill it or is there a better solution?
    Thanks for the help!
    G

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

you can cut slivers.

or fill in the gap 1/2 way with aggregate, then place sand over the aggregate so aggregate isn't visible.

What kind of pavers did you use? If you used modular pavers, it's an easy fix with no slivers. if you used 4x8 pavers - then do as stated above.

3. Garyl53

Garyl53 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. Actually the "pavers" look like a cement brick, they were already installed in the walk. I was just redoing a section that sunk in and spread out over the years since it was installed. I think I will go for the aggregate method. I don't want the gap to allow the other bricks to shift and spread out causing a problem later.
    Thx
    Gary

4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can use cedar or redwood as an expansion type material, should weather pretty quick and match.....

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

some type of polymetric sand or gravel

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

yeah i was thinking slivers or poly sand. Its a toss up usually, some clients hate the sand look others hate the slivers look but somethings gotta fill that gap. Tell them you can cut the slivers or poly sand the area in.