1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to do with old 2 stroke fuel?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fprintf, Apr 12, 2003.

1. fprintf

fprintf LawnSite Member

I have about 1 gallon of 9 month old 2-stroke (50:1) fuel left over from last season. I have heard that as long as I dilute it well that I can simply pour it into my car's gas tank and be done with it. 1 gallon mixed with 14 or so gallons of fresh fuel might be ok. I am somewhat concerned what this will do to my catalytic converter.

Any advice on what to do with this fuel? It had Echo 2 stroke mix, which I think contains a stabilizer. If I can continue to use it, I will! Otherwise I need to do something with it.

I suppose I could pour it on a few stumps to burn them, but that hardly seems very ecologically sound either!

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Stuart, whatever you do,do not ever dump gasoline on the ground. MTBE contamination is getting bad everywhere due to this and careless spilling of fuel that can be avoided. I would do as you suggested,dump about 1/2 in with a full tank of fuel,this should get rid if it the same way we get rid of waste oil with our diesels,we burn in it with diesel fuel.
  3. blkberry

blkberry LawnSite Member

Why don't ya just mix it with new 2 cycle blend, and burn it !!! Kind of like using it the right way!:sleeping:
  4. Ditto?????????
  5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I would continue to use the fuel. Like you said the Echo oil has a stabilizer and as long as the gas was stored in a sealed container there wont be any (or minimal) loss due to evaporation. If your concern is octane (hard starting and run on) then I would do as suggested above.
  6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Take it to a recycle center!
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I believe the echo oil has a stabilizer in it like several others. Just use it.
  8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

If it indeed has a good stabilizer in it I would just mix it with a fresh 1-gal. batch and use it as it is supposed to be used.
  9. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

How on earth do you have leftover? That is pretty sparse around these parts. We use all we mix.
  10. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

mix and use.