What to do with old equipment?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mowtown Mike, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

I have been elected the new highway superintendent for a small town. I would like to clean up the garage area. It looks like a abandon factory. What can I do with old equipment?
    For instance: I would like to get rid of a 1-1970? cat bulldozer (large), not running, 2- 1950's rollers, about 10 large snow plows. 3 old salters (large), 2 old oskosh snowplow trucks. Plus other metal material. I know I can scrap them but are they worth anything more than just the price of steel and iron. E-bay? any collectors might be intersested?

2. Joe74

Joe74 LawnSite Member

I know a lot of towns around here either put it up for bid in a local paper; or they have an auction if they have many items. The latter sounds better in your case.

3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

You can run it on Ebay as parts machines or list it in mach traders.
    There are many people with these older machines who would love too get them for parts.
    If they do not seel send them off for scarp.
    Here metal is bringing 7 + dollars a 100.
    On a bulldozer it could be 2000 dollars plus scrap value.I would doubt you wpould get that much by saling it outright.

4. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

I wish you were closer, I would love to take on a classic dozer project!

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Google search RedPower forums, there are some hard core collectors that could point you in the right direction.

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

like joe74 said an auction seems most logical for a lot of equipment if it were one or two peices closed bids would be fine

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

put it on ebay or have an auction company come in an auction it off. or if theres anything good (i need a welder and torch set, transfer tank for diesel, and other shop tools..i'm always looking for new crap) let me know...i'll buy it

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Tom....i sent you a PM

9. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

Junk or not, it's public property, and I've seen some guys get in hot water for improper disposal of stuff like this, usually because somebody else has an old grudge against them. I would file some kind of formal request with whoever runs the town, and get some direction from the top. They probably have some rules and regs about sealed bid sales or auctions of old stuff, and maybe some other departments like the schools are ready to junk some things, too. Good luck.

10. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Auctions international doe a lot of municipal auctions, I believe they are based in ny, they do lots of web based auctions or if there is enough stuff they do some live auctions. E-bay works well sometimes. Most of the municipal stuff around here doesn't stick around to get that old. It goes to auction or sealed bid in the local paper. I am actually trying to buy a cat loader from a local city, was hoping I had the inside track to get it before it went out to bid.