what to do with this

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gammon landscaping, Jan 30, 2006.

1. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have a contractor that builds fairly cheap houses. we do all his excavation and landscaping when we graded out the lot we had hundreds of large rocks and some very steep banks on the steepest bank we lined the bank with these large rock and know it is getting time to finish this property, so what would be an astheticly pleasing sulotion to this mess...

DSC00001.jpg

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe try to do a nice boulder wall at the bottom along the ajoining property. If not, try to sell them to other scapers. As far as landscaping goes, I'm sure the builder won't spend any money on it, so maybe a bunch of junipers or grasses. Maybe just prep and seed it.

Chris

3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

if that was my job i would fill in gaps of big rock with rip rap an be done. thats proabley the cheapest method,, now if ya wanna get fancy we could do a nice retaining wall. i'm sure if he builds cheap houses he wants the cheapest finished product he can get hope this helps thanks george

4. add some more rip rap and plant some pears down the middle of it.

5. gammon landscaping

how long would it take to shovel the dirt into the deeper resesses and try to mulch it??? any idea how much mulch it would take???

6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not mulch that it would not look right but I would put a retaining wall in if the builder allows.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Fix those rocks right and bring back down the bigger ones and use them in the landscaping around the home to help tie it together visually.I need more pics than that to give you any advice on this property

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

The elevation change from one house to the other is so drastic in that space. Looks to be almost impossible to dress up unless you spend some bucks. A two tier retaining wall with plant stock on all levels would look best IMO. Pavers on top level to top it off.

edit.....might could carry the cross tie wall on around. Looks like a part of the wall has already fell.

9. gammon landscaping

the house i am working on is on the upper side. the bank is what you see as you drive up the hill to the house. retaining walls are out there is almost a 20 change in elavation and the length would be pushing 100 feet. so that would put a wall in to the 10's of thousands and these house just sell for 125,000 so i think that it would blow the 2,000 landscaping budget. the other idea i was playing with was in sted of much maybe trying pine straw, it would be fairly easy in comparison to much. as far as the other landscape it will be hydroseeded and a few hollies and nandinas in the front. so i think my options would be much, pine straw, rip rap, or maybe some crown vetch sewed in it, or cover with dirt and sew (which would be to steep to mow)

i do apprieciate the ideas guys, i am a solo opp so i think this will give me a hell of a work out. i have 6 houses to do in this subdivision but this is the only problem i have here

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

More rip rap then,is what I suggest