what to do with this

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Aug 29, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

dethatch or another aeration?

this lawn has been aerated 3 times in the last two years, and they want another aeration and overseeding this fall. they have had disease problems both years and the thatch surprisingly has been reduced somewhat, but is still large as you can see. suggestions?

IMG_1094.jpg

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I'm not a big fan of de-thatching! its too much work and it always looks like it rips up lots of good grass but there is still thatch!
    I would just keep them scheduled for aeration every fall. over time this will help with the thatch layer.

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I think most midwest land grant universities would recommend a sod cutter.........then start over.

When we dethatch lawns, we are lucky to reduce the thatch layer 1/2 inch, and that's going over the lawn 3 times in different directions. But one advantage of dethatching is that it also "exposes the thatch" so micro-organisms can work on it.

I think if it were my lawn, I'd go over it four times with a core aerator and keep doing this for years????

4. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Keep aerating it. Also try some 100% organic fert instead of synth-crap.

That core sample looks like a dead mole. :D

5. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

Looks to me like they have dollar spot disease. Spray it with some banner, get rid of the dollar spot, then water like crazy to get the lawn to grow out of it.

6. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

uh.... did you see his thatch problem? I think that dollar spot is the least of his worries.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

i am with Quinn. Get rid of dollarspot. Aerate and overseed with a disease resistant top quality rye--say Silver Dollar, Allstar-4, or Amazing.

8. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

Is this a recently sodded homelawn say less then 3 years?

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

How much fertilizer is being applied?

10. lawnsbytim

lawnsbytim LawnSite Member

I have been using Microthatch for lawns with excessive thatch and it has worked very well. Tainio makes it - www.tainio.com/micro_thatch.php It has cellulose decomposing bacillus and fungi. Mix it up, spray it on, and it melts away the thatch over a season.