what to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, May 20, 2001.

1. hey guys. i dont know what to do with my life anymore. i am 18, gonna be 19 in a few days. i go to umass amherst (stockbridge) and i major in turfgrass management. i have my own business in new york. last year i did about 35,000 in business. not much really. this year i am shooting for 150,000 due to some larger jobs that i have been told i am supposed to do. last year i think i did a number on myself. i was doing 16 - 18 hour days 7 days a week for a couple of months there. this year i think it caught up with me. just today i was driving around cutting the few lawns i still have with this one new guy. i had to back up into this one driveway and he stuck his head out the window where i couldnt see the trailer. i got all pissed and started cursing him out. then we get to these other lawns and i was just yelling at him for stupid stuff. lack of communication. also i was having problems backing the trailer up once and started beating the hell out of my tranni. i cut only 13? lawns now. and that is plenty for me. right now i am so busy with doing the side work that i would rather not cut grass. the side work we have been doing is mostly clearing small areas and putting down seed, or doing mulch, plantings, also i do a good amount of tree work. but lately this year all i can do is drop the guys off somewhere and let them work. i just dont have the strength or attention to actually do the work. they can do this stuff day in and out. today i was going to go throw down hay at this job we are finishing up. and i just couldnt do it. my mind didnt want to be there. right now pretty much all i do is cut the lawns and do the tree work, as well as talk with the customers. i have no idea what to do with my life. my mind is like a zeppoli right now (fried) i cant even talk right without screwing a sentence up. even when i am in the car driving around i cant get comfortable no matter what usually. always something, my back, legs, etc. i just dont know what to do. and also i dont know if i should change majors at school. because i dont want to manage a golf course, and i took the landscape contracting major for a bit and cant do the drafting. dont have the patience for it. just what do i do? i dont mind doing the tree work, however i dont want to get into that because i have several friends who do that stuff and dont want to step on their feet or anything like that. i just think i need a long vacation to get my mind back in order. but then there is the question about what do i want to do with my life? i dont want to cut grass all my life, or do landscaping. i want to be able to point fingers. however even that now is a pain in the butt. i know i have been workin way too many hours now. so what do i do? can you guys maybe give me some guidance with my life here before i wither away to nothing

2. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Well once u get a degree nobody can take it away from u, give u something to fall back on.

3. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

Sounds like you either burned yourself out, or you are doing something that you do not really like! You might be in the wrong business if all you want to do is point fingers. All the LCO's that I know, the owners still work everyday. Not trying to down you, because I have time periods that I am also confused on whether to continue doing this. I turn down job offers quite a bit from other people wanting to hire me. Mostly salesman jobs, and the money and insurance is pretty good usually. And I really consider taking a few of these propositions. Then, the next day when I get up: It's a whole new day and I feel great about what I am doing. Doing this type of work is just like any other job, you have your good days and your bad days. Need to make sure you have more good days than bad or your heart may not be in it anymore. Hope that you make the right decision.

4. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

You need to quit working seven days a week. I am to 19 and go to college. College itself will wear you out. I have never been so tired and irretable in my life. I only cut grass and at that only about 20-22 week if we ever get some rain. Take a break man I used to be the same way back in high school and missed out on part of my life because I worked to much. Earn a little money and sit back and enjoy life. You might also want to ask yourself "why do people work?"

5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if your not kiddin' round, you need to move on and change your major. If you're 18 now and feel this way, how about when your 22? 30? I have never heard of someone getting burned out at 18!!! That kinda tells me you're just plain in the wrong business!!!

6. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

How are your prices? Are you being used up for little$$ or are you discovering that sometimes there is TONS of work but only some of it that pays well enough to keep you interested.

7. mike

mike LawnSite Member

YOUR BURNING OUT!!!!!! IF YOU KEEP DOING THIS FIND SOMEONE RELIABLE TO RUN YOUR OPERATION & TAKE SOME TIME OFF. IF YOU'R NEEDED, LEAVE A CONTACT#. LIFE'S TO SHORT, ENJOY YOURSELF SOMETIME. I'VE BEEN THERE -DONE THAT ALSO. I HAD TO LEARN THAT I CAN'T DO IT ALL-ALL THE TIME. IT'S ALSO GOOD FOR BUSINESS SOMETIMES TO SHARE SOME RESPONSIBILITY.

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with the other guys, but i am 19 just turned it last month, and the way things are going for me i won't have a life ever. and honesty i would like to have something or someone besides family their for me. i will attend college next year (due to i'm graduating high school in a few weeks). if you keep going this route your gunna hate doing this if you don't already. and your just killing your body, i know because right now i hate this and my body hurts so bad enough pain killers won't even help, and 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night isn't a plus either.

about college keep it where its at, but take classes for verything else in our field if you can. you don't know if 4 years from now someone asks you to be the suppertandant of a golf coarse, and run what you have now from the side and get to point fingers at everyone.

TAKE SOME TIME OFF, TAKE A VACTION SOMEWHERE, GET OUT OF YOUR STATE, AND GET A HUG OR KISS FROM SOMEONE BESIDES FAMILY.

9. crew

crew LawnSite Member

FALL BACK ! Sooner or later every job sucks ( and I challenge any body to come with one that does not have its drawbacks). You need to get away before you make some rash move that could haunt you forever.
    I am almost 40 and have episodes like the one you described. Coincidentally they tend to come in the fall and spring when,around here, life is hell.