what to do?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by teejet, May 27, 2006.

1. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Will you please give some suggestions on how to improve this landscaping?
    Maybe some color? I did the retaining wall last year. It looks alot better than it did. I took out an old landscape timber retaining wall that was there before.

side2.jpg

100_0460.JPG

100_0454.JPG

100_0455.JPG

100_0456.JPG

2. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Trimming the bush's would be a good start, add caps on the wall for a nice finished look

3. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

You hit the nail right on the head, COLOR. I would add some perennials. I would take out some of the taxus, and add some colorful shrubs. Try Gold Thread False Cypress or Emerald and gold euyonmus just for a few ideas, I know they arent too creative, but anything is better than a wall of taxus. Your pictures also leave something to be desired. try to take some better ones.

4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

On your first slide, w/the brick wall, it needs to be softened. I would espalier some plant material against the wall. Try using (depending upon exposure):

1. Camellia Sasanqua.
    2. Piracantha.
    3. Choice of fruit trees.

You may even try using Italian cypresses on either side of the establisments name, 3 on each side.

As others have rightly posted try adding some color, those yews will really be a great foil to work off of. Try:

1. Berberis thun. (assorted var. to choose from)
    Try using the red and gold foliage together.
    2. Senecio greyii,
    3. Acers - Coral bark maples, Bloodgood, etc.. (left of front door?)
    4. Eunoymus (as previoulsy pointed out)
    5. Annuals - changed seasonally, small beds carved out on either side of breezeway. Follow a pattern, no mishmash. Do not plant them pell-mell in every bed. Keep them confined.

You choices are endless. Best rule of thumb is to KEEP IT SIMPLE.

5. Fowen22

Fowen22 LawnSite Member

Needs some palm trees
    :cool2: