what to do??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by whtrash73, Oct 24, 2006.

1. whtrash73

whtrash73 LawnSite Member

what do you cats do for a buck in the winter? my first year hardly no contracts.been pressure washing and clean-ups.hurry the yunguns are getting hungry!!!:confused:

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

i've got the clint poster!

what trucks/trailer/equip do you have?

leaf clean ups..........enclosed trailer = moving sub contractor...........mobile car wash business..........go inside, electrician, remodeling etc

will be my first winter will be this year........i'm looking forward to it to see how creative we get + i like stress but in the end it will all work out (especially when you save up $$ through the year)

3. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I try and get inside painting in the winter so I can stay warm and dry. This winter I will be plowing, painting, refinishing 17 windows on the inside, shoveling roofs, snowblowing deck and ny weekly caretaking. I will be delivering and picking the homeowners cars up at the airport when they come and go and maybe picking up some groceries before they arrive. Other than that, I will just relax a little.

4. BMFL79

BMFL79 LawnSite Member

I used to be a chef, and I go back to the golf club where I used to work for their holiday season. I january it's rest and relax, get the callouses off the toes :) and start the marketing campaign.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

l.e.a.v.e.s. :cry:

6. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

we plow snow

7. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

business as usual, execpt less workdays and less work. But winter is factored in our overhead for the year. 160 work year pays the bills, most of the time.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

plow snow and relax

9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

What do I do for a buck in the winter? A tree stand and a 12 gauge shotgun works nicely.

Some years back, though, I would go to a temp agency, wearing a neat, clean, work uniform with my name on it, so that the employers knew who to ask for next time. I would take that money and shop carefully for food. I no longer do that, but I would do it in a second if the need arose.

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have found you have to do and do it really well. I can't make any money pressure washing, moving, etc. I can only bill out for so many man hours and then you have more advertising expense. We mow and landscape year round in the south. It is slow, but it pays the bills. Do any of you guys find busywork for your crew so that they can pay their bills? I am thinking of lining of a couple projects for a discount rate so my guys can pay their bills... I keep telling them to save, save, and save some more... but they don't get it. I am not going to lay off guys I have spent all year training.