1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What to do??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Raven386, Mar 21, 2007.

?

What should i do???

1. Tough it out and keep my old truck

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Wait for something better to come along

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. Just buy it.

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Ok, i need some help here. I want to get a new truck. i was looking at an 06 Ford F350 6.0 Diesel, Reg Cab, Long Bed, 12K miles. they were asking 28,900 for it. but i know theres been a lot of people here saying a lot of bad things about their 6.0.... heres my problem.
    i have looked at KBB and they are saying my truck is 17K as a trade. its a 2006 2500HD 23K miles, long bed/reg cab,6.0 v8.but i still owe 20K +/- on it. so i guess i am really asking what should i do? should i tough it out and keep my truck. major reason i was looking into getting a diesel, is gas mileage. and i really want a diesel. i was just wondering if that was a good price for the ford? its mint. not even a scratch in the bedliner. i dont know if this made any sense, but i just wanted to hear others opinions on what i should do. i could either get the Ford now, or wait and hope something better comes a long like a Chevy w/ D-Max.

2. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

The $3000 loss in your trade would pay for alot of gas... I have always been bad when it comes to keeping vehicles. I'm 35 and have owned nearly 30 different personal cars and trucks (including the ones bought for my wife). In my experience I would be much better off today if I would have driven each one for 5 years or so instead of giving in to the trading bug. If you put a bajillion miles a year on then maybe it would pay in the long run. But I think you would better off waiting if the diesel is the only reason.

3. Raven386

from CT

ive put 23K + miles on it in 10 months. i cannot keep a truck for more than a year! actually just as i wrote that i thought....im going to outgrow that reg cab and have to trade that in for a quad or ext. i just feel like im going to kick myself in the azz if i wait and get even less for my truck. i just dont know anymore.... :hammerhead: :dizzy: :hammerhead: :dizzy:

4. Rizzo

from Iowa

Once you get an extended cab or crew you will not want to go back to the regular cab again unless it's strictly for a work truck. That is quite a few miles in a year. Have you crunched the numbers with the gas mileage and price of gas to see what benifit trading would get you? You may just drive enough to make it worth the trade.

5. Raven386

from CT

i havent really gotten an exact MPG for a ford w/ PS or a Chevy w/ Duramax. right now im getting nothing to the gallon. maybe 9 on the highway & 7-8 in town. it used to be a lot better, then i got new tires and it just went downhill.

6. Rizzo

from Iowa

They don't look as cool but stock size tires usually get the best mpg...

7. Raven386

from CT

i went from 245-265. just got a better tire for winter.i have 3 of my stock tires, one got killed by a chunk of metal. so im going to put those back on for now. i wish i could get some definete #'s on gas mileage for the trucks.
    if i drive 30K miles a year. 30,000 / 350(miles per tank) = 85.71 X $80 (to fill up @ $2.71 gallon) = $6857 per year on gas.

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Don't trade it, sell it outright......... Trading is bad for the wallet. And just because KBB says it is worth that on a trade doesn't mean you will get it....

Then you will be in worst shape.

D

9. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're sure that you want to get rid of your truck, I would also try to sell it outright. There are a lot of nice used diesels on the market, you shouldn't have trouble finding one if you sell your truck.

I would either get a Duramax or Cummins over the PSD. The 6.0 is too much of a crap shoot for me. You might be able to find a low milage 7.3 in good shape if you want a Ford. I think the last year for those was '02, but I'm pretty sure that might be too old for ya!:)

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

the last year was 03 actually, but if you get an 06 or 07 PS. then you will get a good one. the 07's especially. you can go either way, trade or sell. you got to figure when u trade you save some taxes, so just do what your confortable with. and definately try for atleast a super cab. i dont think i could survive with a reg cab.