What to do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by summitgroundskeeping, Sep 9, 2001.

1. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I need a 36" w/b. Some properties we do are too for 21" and too small for even a 48" hydro w/b. Our friends at South Country Landscaping have an old, old, scag 36" w/b. It has a manual clutch for the gears. Anyway it was a parts mower, stripped to basically the frame. Well they will sell it to us. If they got all the parts on it, and motor what would be a good price to buy it? I was thinking of swapping a 14hp kaw. engine from my 48" hydro w/b and putting it on the scag and putting a larger motor on the 48" hydro w/b. because that 14hp kaw CAN be sometimes underpowered for a 48" hydro, and I think it would work great on that 36". What do u all think?

2. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Does this sound like the way to go? Would it be cheaper than buying used?

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

personaly,if the option for a used machine was there and it was in Good condition wih a reasonable price, i would jump at it

4. Personaly I think you are asking for problems. I would look to see if any dealers or others are selling a used 36". By the time you get done rebuilding it and getting it to work you could have spent that time and money on one that is working now.

MY 3 cents worth

LGF:blob1:

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm with lawngodfather, you are wasting your time and money for a used frame from mower that you would have to rebuild. i can see your dealer's pockets getting fatter from allthe money he will make on the make up on parts and labor costs rebuilding this worthless project. just buy a new scag36" w/b and instead of having them keepthe 12.5 or whatever size engine it is on it have them switch it with a 14.

6. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

I think it sounds like a good idea!

It sounds to me like your wanting a bigger engine for your other w/b? What better way to make use of what you have, and get something new (new to you) that would benefit your business. I too would like to have a 36" w/b, but the few back yards that we do, do not warrant buying a NEW 36" w/b. If I find one that needs some work (like what your looking at) I will buy it.

Besides winter is coming up and I'll need a project to keep from driving my wife nuts!!! Ha! Ha! Ha!

7. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a new or good used mower.I think this mower needs retired.Or it may drive you crazy.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Get something ready to go. A stripped mower isn't a good investment.