what to do

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by huskres, Oct 9, 2007.

1. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

Well im in tulsa oklahoma and have a new to me house I bought. I would say my yard was about 60 percent crabgrass but I have a lot of that killed off now. I know I should have probably waited but oh well. I really cant put fescue in my front lawn because its 100 percent sun and it will fry in the summer. What else would yall recommend doing? Or do I have to wait to spring to get anything going?

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi -- I'm just a few miles south of you. I'm not going to get into the subject of what to do now but I'll make some suggestions about later.

Go by Lesco when you get the time (out on 55th street) and talk to them. I'd suggest a pre-emergent fertilizer to get rid of the crabgrass which will try to germinate next spring. Seems like the best grass for our area to take the sun , heat and dry weather (or wet weather) is bermuda.

Take Lesco's advice about new grass and fertilizers. Or you can try Lowe's etc.

Nosmo

3. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco would be better probably, what time are they open. I was almost thinking of having it sodded. I can get decent bermuda laid for .17 cents a square foot but I really need to save up some money for some equipment if im going to get started. But what the hell if im going to learn might as well do it on my own lawn.

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know what their hours are -- give them a call. That crabgrass will die out after a good frost . Crabgrass is an annual which will only come up from seeds. This is why a person should use a pre-emergent fertilizer to prevent germination of those seeds. I don't know when it should be applied and I'd make certain whether or not it's too late for sodding bermuda.

I have never sodded bermuda but for myself I use sprigs but I think it is too late for them to attain the proper root growth.

Nosmo