what to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys, i've been doing some sub contracting work for another lawnservice in my area. i've been mowing for him since the beging auguest. i'm mowing 12 accounts for him a mix of residential and commerical, the origional deal was that he would pay me when i was finshed mowing for him at the end of september, well its now the end of october and i'm still mowing the accounts and i still haven't been paid, as of now he owes me 1,200 and at the end of october he will owe me 2460. the reason i haven't stoped cutting the lawns or to small claims court is because he said i could have the accounts for next year, and he said he had some snowplowing contracts he would give me. so what should i do??
  2. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Time to step up to the plate and talk man to man.
  3. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have this agreement in writing? If, not hopefully the guy will man up and pay you. I sub no work or do no sub work with out a written agreement unless it's one of my buds in the biz that I have a great relationship with. Even then, if it's a large job, I put it in writing.
  4. Mowerboy04

yea see thats where i messed up i do not have a written contract i know i messed up big there. but i've talked to this guy a few times before and he helped me when i was first starting out so i thought i would return the favor.
  5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

If you think you're getting hosed, scare the beJesus out of him 1st by doing this, before you go to legal means:
    Get someone you know, who looks REALLY distinguished in a suit and tie, to accompany you to stand behind you at his doorstep during his family's dinner hour. Let him know, NICELY, that you have to get paid by month's end (or whatever), but have arranged for legal action to take place in the event that you don't. At that point, you present him with your updated copies of your receipts, making sure 'the man' behind you has a copy, too, to put in his 'folder'. AT NO POINT in your conversation do you let 'the man' behind you talk! And I'll guarantee you that your business partner will NOT question that your 'man' is not a lawyer! :hammerhead: (Unless, of course, he sees this blog entry from you and I 1st!)

This actually has worked once for me!
  6. Mowerboy04

yea thats not a bad idea but he is on this site so its a possibility that he sees it.
  7. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to the guy and see whats up. Some people just hate parting with money even when its really not theirs to begin with. If he tells you things are tight or he needs more time, take that opportunity to have him sign off on what he owes and when he will get it to you. If he won't sign at that point he is likely F-ing you, which means you have to get physical.

If you showed up at my door with a silent dude in a "men in black" suit I would probably ask who the heck he was, if I wasn't laughing to hard. I probably wouldn't try that method, just sounds corny. Good communication goes a long way.
  8. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Who is he? Maybe we should know so the rest of us can avoid business dealings with him
  9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

yeah who is he? let us know so we can tear him a new one
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't cut another blade of grass until he answers to your invoice. you tell him that you need SOMETHING on it....ANYthing. If you hand him a statement for 2460, and he gives you 100 dollars, you sign that amount paid, write down the new balance (2360), and sign it.....and guess what? He just acknowledged that he owes you the money. NOW you are better prepared for court.