1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to do....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landgator, Feb 12, 2008.

1. landgator

landgator LawnSite Member

I have a dilemma...

I went to a bid meeting for a HOA the other day. It's a huge HOA and a little out of my league. I'm working with 12 apartment complexes and I won't be able to work for both. My dilemma is do I blow off the HOA, send them a letter with regret that I won't be able to bid or pull some numbers out of my ass and turn them in? Any suggestion, thoughts comments would be great. Thank you.
  2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

First of all, describe huge.
    Plus a little out of your league.
    I'd say bid on the "huge" HOA and if necessary hire additional staff to meet this new need.
    Remember, without growth, staff, redundancy in your operation, your just another solo operation restrained by a narrow grasp on your true growth potential.
    Yes employees represent challenges, yet instead of viewing these challenges as an impediment, view them as a way to grow your self professionally and your business economically.
  3. landgator

I agree with what your saying but I already have enough work for my crew this year and I don't want another.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I can't give you any advice on how to "blow them off", but I will say it's great that you realized you couldn't handle it instead of taking it on and sinking you.

I'm solo and part time and have worked really hard to slowly control my growth. I've had several opportunities to grow more than I was comfortable with and have had to use a lot of restraint not to take on more than I can handle.

Good luck
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You've answered your own question.
  6. landgator

Maybe I should refrase this should I turn in a high priced bid or should I call them and tell them that I will be unable to bid because I have too much other work going on?
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just call them back and tell them at this time you're currently booked. However, you would like to be kept on the request for proposal list, or however it is they got your number for the next time it's put out for bid.
  8. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Bid a big price.. then subcontract another LCO to do it if you win the bid.

Mark in ATL
  9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I think this would be the best way to handle it. I wished I had this problem!