What to do???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by YardKeeper08, May 21, 2008.

1. YardKeeper08

YardKeeper08 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Ok so a local dealer I spoke with about a $3,300+tax 48” Toro walk behind w/ a fixed deck, gears, 15hp Kawasaki and the T-Bar controls gave me a call this morning (after I’m ready to buy the same machine and price but Xmark w/ ECS controls from a different dealer). He now has been told by his local rep (for Toro) that he can get me a 48” Toro walk behind w/ a fixed deck, gears, 15hp Koehler and the T-Bar controls for $1,800+tax. But it’s a demo w/ maybe 5-10 hours on it. I almost bought it over the phone for the price alone, but I hesitated because I haven’t used the T-bar before and the demo sort of makes me wonder. He said that it would be sold as a new machine w/ full warranty. I need to move ASAP what does everyone think about 1. Toro 2. T-Bar 3. Koehler 4.Price 5.Demos? Sorry for the multiple questions but I'm new at this :confused:(cant you tell) and seriously need a larger mower soon.

Thanks for any input

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I've never used one, but everybody on here that has one says that the t-bar set up is the only way to go if you're going to buy a belt drive. Kohler is good enough. $1800 for a new one would be tough to turn down, I'd be all over that.

3. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

Tbar is so easy to use and learn. Took me about 30 seconds.

4. YardKeeper08

YardKeeper08 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Well I went with the Exmark 48” walk behind w/ a fixed deck, gears, 15hp Kawasaki and the ECS controls. It’ll be here on Tuesday. I feel I got an ok price $3,498 out the door. Turns out the Toro was about 5 years old not one and was a big unknown about how it was treated or serviced. It really would have been nice to save the $1,600 but with it being 5years old and the service history not kept I decided to pass and go new.

James: How is your year going client number wise? Are you full/ part time?

Thanks from a fellow Iowan

5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Lost a few from last year, but I don't miss them. 1 guy was slow/no pay, the other thought his lawn needed mowed if it didn't look freshly scalped. I'm PT.