What to do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by I.M. Green, Sep 19, 2008.

1. I.M. Green

I.M. Green LawnSite Member

I was curious what can we do if know for certain that someone is operating without a license? I'm not talking about the kid that has a handful of customers. I'm talking about the lowballers that are doing this for a living. Is there some sort of government office to contact or what? In Florida it isn't't hard to be legit, so I'm not sure why there are so many of them that are doing it with out license/registering...

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't know..good question. i would say some kind of inspector..call city hall to find out. i know when i got all my licenses, i have to have them posted, so it can be seen, at my place of business and i carry a copy of them in my truck for this reason. getting stopped by the police. this is a good question!

3. I.M. Green

I.M. Green LawnSite Member

yes we also have to have it posted at the shop and I carry one with me in the truck. I have never been asked for it, but am prepared if I do get asked...

4. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

I was shocked when I was asked for mine in Gulfport (by St. Petersburg). They told me that they were really cracking down on this, it was a normal police officer also.

5. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

For Florida LCO'S, you can go to sunbiz.org and check to see if they are licensed.

6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

whats a license cost in florida? seems to be a waste of time running around turning people in when you could be using that time to generate new business for yourself.

7. DaveinSWFL

$35 a year.

8. DaveinSWFL

I misspoke. The sunbiz.org is for registering your name which is different from being licensed to perform services. I looked at my county site but can't find a site pertaining to doing a search to see who is licensed or not. I appologize for the mistake.

9. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I was told by the tax collector to talk to code enforcement! When i spoke to them on the phone about the matter they seemed like they didn't give a sh*t, so i said hot damn! In 2009 it's gonna be like Christmas in September, When i don't pay to renew my license!! Why pay for something i only need in theory, that will never be enforced...They replied well what about the tax man? huh..These guys don't worry so what about him? if i don't have a license that means I'm not working...right- then theirs nothing to claim! (free money) isn't that what your telling my by showing me your lack of enforcing the Law! I can work for free and not have to fear nothing because you expressed to my that you have not focused your attention on stopping these individuals from working illegally...But don't worry i'll keep on paying for my license so that you can keep collecting a pay check, while I'm out busting my hump trying to compete with the unlicensed lawn companies...Click!! Ahhh, I'm never good at making friends

10. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I think the site your looking for is myflorida.com??? I could be wrong though.