1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to do

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by aference1, Dec 14, 2009.

1. aference1

aference1 LawnSite Member

I have ran a lawn & landscape business for a long time. Now I am getting calls to bid on commercial properties. I dont fertilize and never have. I do have a guy that says he can do it for me if I hire him as a independent contractor. Is that true? On the other hand, does anyone have a good formula for pricing?
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Materials + time, is a good formula. Fertilizing is best done in coordination with water and warmth. If I were you , I would do it myself to be sure the customer is happy.
    Many unhappy clients of TGCL... :)
  3. aference1

aference1 LawnSite Member

The problem with me doing it myself is im to busy with landscaping
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Charge whatever the sub needs plus your hassle time.
    Problem there is - he wants the competetive price and you are going to require more on top of that. The client is no longer paying a competetive price.
    Charge a finder's fee to the sub and have him take care of the client exclusively.
    Or let the sub do the pricing and you add 10%.
    Its hard to say, because every situation is different, but the idea of working with a sub is much cheaper than employees. So make a deal if you can. Be sure he is not derelict in anyway, as that reflects on you as well.