What to do???

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Landscape Poet, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

OK our little sub forum here has seemed to die off the last couple days so I thought I would get things started back up by getting your guys opinion on a problem I have.

I currently have a trailer that I use for my business. It has served me well and has lots of life in it. The problem is that the trailer is 5 x 14 and I have outgrown it with the addition of another mower last year. The once abundant floor space i once had is now gone.

So that is my problem and I would like to get resolved before the heat kicks in full force and every little thing that does not function 100% with ease pisses me off throughout the day.

I currently have enough for both mowers, have a rack for three of my sticks, but lack a space for my pole saw, gas cans, backpack sprayer, trimmer line etc etc to fit in a orderly fashion.

Here are my options that I see.

Keep the existing trailer, going HERE buying the stick rack, at least 2 two gallon gas holders, a trimmer line holder/cutter, a backpack blower holder, a backpack sprayer holder and then just relocating my existing rack to the other side of the trailer so I can use it for my pole saw, which will also leave room for two back up sticks if needed. This solves my problem for the forseeable future. These of course could be moved to a bigger trailer if I go that route in the future anyways. And I want to add that I really enjoy this trailer because it is lite which saves on fuel, is single axle so it saves me on tolls, is narrow so it is easy to maneuver around especially in tight neighborhoods.

Or I can buy a new trailer, which of course had its own expense and kind of design it myself or get one which would allow me to get the extra space and still go with the accessories mentioned above. The trailer would of course be a little over kill for most of my issue then because on sod jobs I have someone who does the removal for me. Most installation jobs I have would not require me to take up more room than is available in the current trailer. And of course although the business appear to be there, I have no desire to go bigger in the near future as I really enjoy being solo.

So what are your guys thoughts and what would you guys do.

2. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Stay with the smallest trailer you can for as long as you can, just organize it to the max. Single axle trailers do not eat up tires as fast as duals do and are a plus for all the reasons you mentioned.

3. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Go with a wider trailer 5 ft not very wide.

Charles Cue

4. Landscape Poet

Spoken like someone who is as money conscious as I am and understands not only that their is a cost associated with every choice, but also that tolls get a lot more expensive with that extra axle. This is the way I am leaning but really wanted to hear from others and why before I make any choice.

5. Landscape Poet

I totally agree with you now. Also wider would mean I could have a side gate put on for my smaller z. This would be a bonus because I currently have to unload the larger Z to get to the little one when it is needed.

6. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

7. Landscape Poet

Yes, but have you ever seen the extreme rack for you sticks. They are 100% secure in there....nobody is getting them. The other thing they currently have that I do not like about them is their backpack blower rack....it is not universal...you have to buy additional pieces to make it fit some models. Just because I like my current blower does not mean that come replacement time I will still like that kind, so buying another fixture.

The extreme racks for the sticks are simply the best I have ever seen. The only issue I have with them is the cost, and I went to order the other day and found out they are local from here in FL so I would experience sales tax, which considering the cost of everything, was enough to stop me from pulling the trigger at the time.

8. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

What are you using for a tow vehicle these days?

9. Landscape Poet

Still using my jeep. Only has 56k miles...so as tight as I am I do not see that changing anytime soon...plus it has heated seats which has came in handy recently! :laugh:

10. Landscape Poet

Unknown - have you seen the extreme racks up close and personal? Rob7233 from here on lawnsite has them. I was skeptical at first, but when you see them and how secure your stuff is, they are worth every penny. I could pull into a place on OBT and eat lunch and not sweat my stuff not being there when I came back outside. Yes, they are that nice.