What to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DaveVB, Feb 13, 2003.

1. DaveVB

DaveVB LawnSite Member

We have several grass fields that are high vehicle traffic areas. How can I get these up to speed come spring? I am Grounds Maintenance for a Bible College in KCMO, and want to get the place looking good, but not spending a LOT of money. Thanks for your help. God Bless You Super Good, DaveVB

2. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the forum Dave. Could you elaborate on your situation a little more. Things like size, budget and what kind of vehicles are you talking about. Also, what kind of grass do you have now? What are the expectations of the school for the grounds, the budget should reflect that.

3. DaveVB

DaveVB LawnSite Member

The main area I am concerned about is probably 500 feet long and we have tried to spread our driving out a bit, keeping from making one track but it is 100' wide. Driven on by Astro vans and mazda pickups. Not loaded heavy but numerous trips a day.
    The budget is a good question. We work off of a general fund. I throw a price quote to the boss and he takes it up the chain. We have basically a new administration including me and I am hoping they will let me spend some money the last guy didn't have time to spend. One problem is we don't currently own the property, but we are on a 50 year lease (30 years out of 50, recently decided to see if the city,KC, will sell it to us).
    The grass? I am assuming Kentucky bluegrass or zoysia. It stands up pretty well to the foot traffic problems we have, but the vehicle traffic is greatly increased to this one building (major maintenance issues) hence my concern. The expectations of the school admin is reflected in how high up the totem pole the grounds get versus fixing roofs, air conditioning, painting, upgrades of various things etc... Thanks for your help! God Bless You Super Good!! DaveVB

4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Put in a gravel road and stop driving on the grass. The more you spread out the traffic the more turf you are going to damage.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You must put in some type of a designated driving lane or road. This will cost money but the benefits will far outweigh the cost. This would keep the rest of the green area green. Best of luck to you.

Gravely_Man

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This by far is the most practicle solution for this case. Grass is just not made to be driven on regularly. All the aeration and water in the world wouldn't help that.