What to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by logan, Aug 13, 2003.

1. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

What do you guys do with your old mowers, once they have seen better days?

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

It's probably a good idea to send them on there way before they become boat anchors. A 3 year old machine with say 1800 hours on it is probably starting show it's age. It's a good candidate for a homeowner or maybe even a small company. I have a feeling that if I had sold one of mine last year when it just turned 3 years old I could have gotten decent money out of it. Now a year later it has cost me time and money and probably isn't worth half what it was in 2002. Now if it was stored inside the whole time when not in use, I would say you could probably expect it to stay in service a little longer.

I am not saying not to disclose everything about it to the potential buyer. You can't just sell them junk and pawn it off as a jewel :) Just for moderate to heavy use, it may not be in your best interest to keep it.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

get the spare parts off from it that you need and then just trash it or take it to your dealer to see whether or not he wants it. My dealer restores the old mowers and then resells them to people.

Right now he has two 48" hydros in the back that have blown engines that a guy dropped off last winter and like only 150 hours on each one. (he didn't take care of them) He hasn't called or stopped in for them. So my dealer is going to sell them to me and all I have to pay for is the engines and labor.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

sell it to a newbie, trying to be your competitor, and just say it runs great, i bought a rider

5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

a company out in wixom michigan has a garage sale every so often and sells off there old machines,good way to clean the shop before winter. or list on ebay...

6. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

Used equipment can be great back up mowers. When I added a new crew this year (june) when I bought a book of bussiness. I knew I'd have newbie's runnning mowers so I bought 2 2000 gravely hydro pro 50's and a JD 36. All engines were strong and didn't mind to much when they rammed curbs or lost control on steep banks. I'm a fan of buying used mowers- paying cash and getting your money back fast.

Never buy used string trimmers of blowers though, too much time lost sitting on the tailgate w/ your shoulder limp from yanking a pull cord 50 times and it never kicks.

In other let me know if your selling mowers, I'm always looking for a good deal.