What To Get What To Get

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewE, Oct 2, 2003.

1. AndrewE

AndrewE LawnSite Member

Next year am steping up. i will be doing more than just my naborhood were i drove my tractor around. I am also buying commercial equitment. I am 16 so I will be doing all residental. what size should I get. Here in Maryland there are some big yards. Right know Im looking at a used 61in ZTR mower and buying a new 36in Metro. I have the trimmer and blower. Thanks for the help.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

My only question to ask you, have you really thought this through? Have you researched every angle regarding insurance, licenses, taxes, etc?

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

My advice to anyone that's 16, start slow, research and seek the advice of some other operators in and around your area. Talk to an accountant and by all means get some insurance. If you have to write or type anything...use the darn spell check.
    Above all...be a professional!

4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I would stick with just the metro for one season. With it and a velke you will have a durable and productive machine. Pay for it ,then the year after, if your accounts can justify it, go for the ZTR. You may wan't to consider a larger walk behind instaed of the ZTR. You will need several large lawns to make the ZTR a paying proposition .

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Have to agree with barnard,get the metro fist and work your way up.Also give some thought to what tiedeman said.
    Good luck!

6. AndrewE

AndrewE LawnSite Member

I already have 6000 dallors from the money i've made in the naborhood. So i can pay off the ZTM and trailer and insurance.
    Ztm is 61in for $3500 trailer $1200. But i've done my research and its like $800 for business linceane and tax number and the other stuff. i will get insureance though.

7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

first get a license & insurance for your biz.once you do that you can get any kind of equipment you want