What to get?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by emil35, Feb 14, 2006.

1. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

Hello all:

I currently primarily do lawn care service, but I'm going to branch into landscaping residential properties. My question is what do you think I should buy to do this? I'm looking at the following: TORO Dingo, ASV Posi-Track RC30, and a John Deere loader backhoe (small model). Money/capital is an issue so I'd like to get something that I can use in a wide variety at first, and then maybe pick up additional equipment in the future. Also, when all is said and done, is it just as expensive to rent the equipment you need for the different jobs (each job is different so you might need a loader backhow for one and a small skid for another) instead of buying alot of different units, or do you get one unit you can do most things with and rent for the "unique" jobs? Let me know what you think. Thanks
  2. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

anybody have any advice? which machine would to spring for if you were me or would you just rent? Thanks
  3. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Do a search this has been discussed countless times before.
  4. Vermeer

Vermeer Inactive
    from Iowa

You have limited yourself to just a few machines I would broaden your selection of brands. If you are looking at a mini skid there are many to try other along with the Toro as there are numerous differences. IF you buy a mini skid you may want to rent the attachment from a local rental yard until you utilization justifies ownership. Make sure you also evaluate the local dealer and their reputation as this will be critcal after the sale. Just my 2cents.

5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

It takes more than just equip.to get into landscaping

What skills do you posess with that type of equip.?

What other landscape skills do you posess?

These questions are ones you should ask yourself before buying equip.

If you are good at grading,stone walls planting,drainage,this should help
    to determine the type equip.you need.
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

A dingo would be a great start, but I would rent the first year and see what you rent the most.
  7. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the Bobcat MT55, Toolcat 5600, T140 track loader, or just a simple Kubota tractor with a few 3-point attachment. Good luck, - Will