1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to lay flagstone in??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Kohls Landscaping Co, May 20, 2003.

1. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

Hi! I am going to install a stone bench and fountain in the back of my house over the summer. I am thinking of using flagstone as a path to the fountain and bench. I was wondering what is the proper material to use under the flagstone to make sure they do not wobble. Also, I was thinking of using a type of pea gravel to fill in between the flagstone to make everything level and look nice.

I just don't want everything to become muddy after it rains.

Thanks for the help in advance!
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

the guy that did our stone steps a few years back used stone dust, it grey and a little larger than sand. I'm not sure how thick he put it down, but my guess would be 2-3"?

better get someone elses $.02 on this too
  3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Use stone dust. Avoid the pea gravel because it moves around and becomes a slip hazard when in lays on the flagstone. Put down at least 2-3" of stone dust and settle the stones in. Using paver edging along the sides of the pathway will help keep the stones from shifting.
  4. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

We excavate 7 inches, lay a 4 inch crushed gravel base, then an inch or so of stonedust.
  5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

USe a modified base first, then top off w/ <= 1" of stone dust!