what to look for in a 36" mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contra, Apr 16, 2003.

1. contra

contra LawnSite Member

i quadrupled my lawns this year and my 21 inch mowers that i have been using for 6 years (im 17), arent gonna be enough for this season. I'm looking to buy a 36" mower and ive been hunting through every type of classified daily. the problem is- i have no idea what to look for in a mower, besides if its hydrostatic or belt drive. I'm almost completely in the dark on what to look for. Im gonna be buying one used, so can you guys help me out with some info or links, so that i wont get ripped off?

thanks

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a dealer near you and demo some machines. i use a Toro 36" belt drive and have no problems with it.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Kawasaki engine!!

4. Shuter

My Toro does have a Kawi engine. The other choice was Kohler. I did not like the fact that the dealer stocks replacement engines for the Kohler. It sound like there are problems with Kohler, so I chose Kawi.

5. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

kohler and kawi are both good motors. i'd go with the mower which has the best service and the dealer is gonna stand behind it and give you priority.

6. Shuter

Dealer backing is very important. You also may find a good financing deal to defer payment to after the mowing season.

7. contra

contra LawnSite Member

thanks guys

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark has some sweet deals but check to see if you have a dealer close by, that is very important. I'd get hydro if you can swing the extra $1,500, it makes a big difference, regardless of what you hear from here. If you can't afford the hydro, just get a belt drive. If you can, get a machine that has a Kawasaki engine. I didn't like the 15 hp Kohler that was on a Toro I looked at before I bought my Exmark.

9. contra

contra LawnSite Member

i doubt i'd get a hydro unless i found a really good deal. i have 14 lawns this year which im sure is nothing for you guys, but its a big jump for me and way too much for me to handle with a 21 inch mower. and- im still in school and working another job 9 hours a week. i still wouldnt have the cash to dish out for a hydro for a couple months.

10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

are your properties too small for a 48"? It will get you done much quicker than a 36, and is about the same price. I got mine (belt) for around $2500.