What to look for in a back pack

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xxl, Nov 23, 2007.

1. xxl

xxl LawnSite Member
    from MO

I love my 755 echo but everyone seems to lean to redmax what specs can be compared to find the best one

2. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

you want to look at the volume of air the blower puts out (cfm), and also compare the air speed at the end of the tubes (mph)

3. grapeford

grapeford LawnSite Member

I've been using Stihl bpacks forever, and when one of them gave up the ghost, I was planning to replace it with another. My mechanic said the new Stihl 4 strokes are junk, and recommended the Redmax. It was too heavy *(or I'm too old) so i went with Husqvarna. I like it.

4. BentleyOutdoors

BentleyOutdoors LawnSite Member

If you have the echo already, I would stay with what you have. Echo has one of the best. Red max is also a great backpack also, the difference in the two in the same class will not be noticeable, The biggest thing is if you have a dealer that is great with warranty repairs for which brand you have. Echo is coming out with all new stuff in 2 months, they are changing to Orange color and reworking there lines. Something to look at. Hope that helped.

5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I have read alot of post on the best blower debate. Too heavy,too small, more quiet, burns more fuel, too loud, blah blah blah. Bottom line is if you want a blower that is quiet and moves alot of debree and not "too heavy" then get the stihl. Bit if you want a blower to move some serious leaves and debree that weighs more than any other blower and sucks more gas and is the blower that the lawn gods use then get the REDMAX.

6. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. The Echo 755 blows some air. I compared the specs between Redmax and Echo once, and I believe the Echo 755 still had them beat. Not by much. But, I have 2 echo blowers a 603 and a 755, and I love mine. The 755 is heavy, but all the top of the line blowers that put out lots of air will be heavy. Some are saying that Red Max makes some good stuff. Never owned any by them. My next trimmer will be a Red Max. Then I can test the quality for myself. I am sure either one will be great.
    I also have heard bad things about the Sthil 4 mix. I have one piece of 4 mix equipment (Sthil pole hedge trimmer). So far no problems.
    As stated, find a good dealer, Echo or Red Max will be fine.

7. phntmfoot

phntmfoot LawnSite Member

The weight issue everyone references with the Redmax is usually within 2-3 lbs. (not worth it to not buy the blower over) The power difference you'll experience between the Redmax and the other units (echo stihl, etc) is not so nominal. The Redmax cant be touched on power. If absolute raw power is what you're looking for, Redmax is on top in this category for a reason.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's it, all that matters, cfm's & mph.
    I say you want at least 700cfm @ 200mph

9. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

You will not go wrong with the Echo 755. I have one and I also have an Echo PB620. I like the 620 for it's lightness and power to weight ratio. It works well on residential and driveways. However, when it comes to moving lots of stuff such as sand, mucho leaves and blowing parking lots, the 755 rules.

Down here in Northeast Florida, you will not find a Redmax readily. So we have Stihl, Echo and Shindaiwa mainly. I don't really like the 4 mix blowers, the largest blower in the 2-stroke line of Stihl falls short of the Echo Pb620.

So, use it if you got it. The 755 does weigh a bit more, uses more gas BUT you can blow off a driveway as fast as you can walk it. Sand? No problem. Here where I live close to the beach, sand is a major issue to deal with. The 755 moves it really well. The PB 620 is not as good at this, but for grass clippings and leaves it does really well for the weight. I really like both and use both equally.

The 755 when you need to move lots of stuff (sand, leaves, acorns etc...) and blow off large areas (parking lots).

The 620 for the quick stuff, (roofs, gutters, driveways, grass clippings, etc.) and for extended use due to the lightweight. It's easy to swing it up on your back.

10. phntmfoot

phntmfoot LawnSite Member

There are quite a few Redmax dealers in northeast Florida. You should look into it. The Redmax 8001 weighs less and pushes more cfm's than your Echo 755. Certainly be worth your time to check it out.