What to look for in a good accountant?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnscapesLLC, Jan 26, 2008.

1. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

I know some of you guys have good accountants. What I want to know is..... How did you find them? What do you look for in one? What kinds of questions did you ask them? etc.

Taxes and such are a pain and i'm about to double my customer base so i'm looking for some advise. I'm solo and plan on staying that way for awhile.

2. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I got lucky set down next to him in a bar at lunch time his office was right up the street, been using him for about 7 years.
  3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well, for starters, some common cents in an accountant is always a good bet.. beyond that, if they can't show you how to do your tax deposits online and say they don't trust it... maybe think a little more and find somebody keeping up with the era.
  4. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

Yeah you want a guy who does it on line you sit down and your done. Well thats how it works for me I do take most of my stuff all added up for him saves me a bit of money and keeps me legal
  5. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

Make Sure that the accountant knows of the CREDIT for OFF ROAD FUEL TAX. The first acc't we used had to contact the IRS for info.???:hammerhead: They advised Never Claimed that BEFORE ??? So I went :walking: to another. First Question to new accountant was ???
    You got it. See Above.:usflag:
  6. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

one who knows how to avoid audits:)
  7. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

Tax laws are subject to change almost as often as the wind changes direction . The ability to take advantage of the way these laws work, and affect small business is an necessity.

Make sure your choice is a CPA too, and not just an "accountant", as there is a difference. CPA's will have a college degree and in must cases a Masters, also with specific training in math and accounting/tax procedures. Also, a CPA must pass a State Exam and be licensed to be a practicing CPA, while in nearly all states under the law anyone can call themselves an "accountant" with no training, no education and no licensing or exams required at all.
  8. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

Ask others who they use, especially other self-employed people. You won't really know until you have your taxes prepared.
  9. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

go to daveramsey.com and look for an ELP accountant in your area......btw, check out Dave Ramsey!!!
  10. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

That is how I found mine, and out of the ones I called on my own,the one referred by dave ramsey, took the time to answer all my questions and showed an intrest in helping me out. The ones I called from the book acted like I was wasting their time.

Good Luck,