1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what to look for in a hydro. system??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DEA, Aug 7, 2004.

1. DEA

DEA LawnSite Member

Been looking at some used hydraulic wb mowers.What should I check and look for on these?
    Without relying on the owner's word of good faith.Hate to put it that way but, you know!
    Also what else do you look for on a walk behind?Besides the appearance and engine smoke?
  2. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I am no expert on this but I would check the following on a used WB.

Spindles - Grab the blade and push and pull it to see if the spindles are worn, about a $100 each for most mowers.

Hydros - Start and let them warm up fully. Warm to the touch. Does it go fast enough at top speed so you have to run to keep up? Does it track straight with tire pressure set correctly? Not very scientific I know but these few things will let you know if a pump is bad typically.

Engines are engines. Hour meters are great but can be played with. Look for smoke, listen for ticking sounds, check plug for color, pull off the carb bowl to see if it has varnish in it. Just realize that if it is a high hour engine then factor in the cost of a rebuild or new engine.