1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What to look for in a sprayer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hamons, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering buying a used reconditioned 300 gallon sprayer but I am new to the spraying game and I have no idea what to look for?

The sprayer I ma looking at has a 5.5hp Honda engine with an autoreel. He had it in the paper for $2200 -- I offered him $1500 and he said if I brought him the cash before someone else came with more he would take it.

I've done some research and this seems like a fairly good deal --but I would like some of your opinions -- what should I look for to make sure it's not a lemon. Particularly the pump -- what should it have?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Put some water in it and start it. Engine should run smooth and not smoke. Pump should pump at various pressures. Check entire systems for leaks, cracks, etc. In my opinion, if it has a Hypro diaphram pump, it is a plus. Wish I could find one like that.

Mike

3. He's got it..............

Make sure reel winds in on it's own.

No leaks

Not much to go wrong if it's a diaphragm pump.

You could replace the entire engine and pump system and still come out like a bandit.

4. Hamons

Well I bought it! $1500.

I it works real well.

Brand new Hypro pump. 5.07 gpm 280 psi

300 gallon Fiberglass tank mounted on skid.

300' of Hose on working auto-reel.

Chemlawn gun.

Worse thing on it is that the 5.5 Honda is quite old. Runs strong enough -- but will be the first thing to go. Oil was very dirty so that worried me a little.

It has jet agitation -- but when it is not shutoff, the pressure is very weak. Is this normal?

I'll do the proud new dad thing and post some pics now!

5. Hamons

Here she is

mvc-020s.jpg

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

If you are using the agitation while spraying, yes, the pressure will be weaker. There should be an adjustment on the pressure relief to compensate for it. You may have to mess with it until you have the pressure the way you want it. Change the oil and run the engine till it dies. The engine is a easy, cheap repair. You didn't tell us it was fiberglass. What a steal!

Mike

7. Yup that's a $5000 set-up.

8. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

9. I bet that engine even uncared for will still outlast the hoses.

BTW is that 3/8" hose on your reel?

10. Hamons

Yes it is 3/8" hose. Good or bad?

I do not know how old the honda is.

To start the honda you have to wrap the pull string around the flywheel and pull it -- the rope is then loose in your hand.

I was truing it out some more and the Lesco gun locked up on me. It will only work on very low pressure. If the pressure goes up very high then the trigger squeezes in -- but no water comes out. You think it just needs a rebuild kit?