1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to look for in a used mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by notforprofit, Jun 19, 2004.

1. notforprofit

notforprofit LawnSite Member

Hi folks! My first post in this forum. I tried this one in com. lawn care w/ no luck. I've been looking at new and used ztr's to mow about 3 1/2 to 5 acres per week. I've found a used (294 hrs) Toro Z- Master at a local farm implement dealer (they do carry some lawn equipment). It has a 21 koh with 52" deck. The salesman thought it was a '99 or 2000. Supposedly it was used by a local farmer to mow his grass but he traded it on a larger tractor with belly mower and plow.
    How should I go about inspecting this unit ? Is there anything I should look for in particular? Anything to especially watch out for on these z's? They have this unit sitting outside in the weather for about two weeks now. Does this hurt anything? I noticed some rust around the wheel motors where some now dry grass was clumed around. Will this adversely affect anything?
    The dealer is asking $3999? Is this good, bad or what? How do you establish what a used mower is worth?
    Thanks for the help and please take a moment to respond if you have any thoughts on this subject.
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I would first find out what it did cost brand new and go from there. That is the way I do things like that. I find out the new cost and start taking off for ware and tare. hours loooks, rust, and such. Will he let you demo then unit? If so I would.