What to look for in a used ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by notforprofit, Jun 18, 2004.

1. notforprofit

notforprofit LawnSite Member

Hello all,

I posted a question earlier today about the value of a Toro ztr. Since doing so, I realized that an equally important question would be to ask WHAT to look for in a used ztr mower! In addition I thought some of you could suggest what to look out for (perhaps common problem areas or signs of abuse/wear?) Anything in particular I should check? Thanks for the input.

2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Hour meter, oil color/texture/smell, belts-glazed looking or cracked.
    Tires- worn or cracked, Clean or dirty
    Deck- bent or cracked, newly welded or mismatched welding.
    Blades- are they dull, bent or wobbly (bearings)
    Run it- Smoke? Rev it- smooth, quick or slow?
    Start blades -clutch work?
    oil in hydro? same checks as engine oil
    Paint- faded or bright ( where it was stored)

That should get you started.

3. notforprofit

Thanks Ax Man-
    Headed over there this morning to give it the once over.

4. notforprofit

Went over to dealer this AM, but they weren't open for business because they were moving things around and remodeling. However a fella inside gave us the go-ahead to look at the Toro. It's a Z-150. Belts looked ok, a little wear-not glazed or cracked. The oil was a little dirty and at the add mark but was not milky or discolored. However, there seemed to be a light film of oil inside the area the breather tube enters just before the carb, as well as a light film inside the area of the air cleaner. What does this mean? Is it a problem? I was told (at least on an auto) any residue in the exhaust pipe shpould be lightly chalky grey. I did this test and my finger was black and sooty. However I did this to three other used tractors they had ( 2003 J.D. , 2002 Cub Cadet, 2002 Kubota-a diesel) they all were black and sooty. Does this mean anything?- is it a bad sign?
    I'll head back Monday to do a more thorough once over and hopefully test run it. Thanks.