1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what to look for when buying used 873

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by newtostone, Apr 16, 2008.

1. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

what are things i should watch out for or look when buying a late 90's bobcat 873? has just over 1000 hours on it, and seems to be in good shape.
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest weakness that I am aware of this year of Bobcat was the loader arms. They were later redesigned. Look for cracks at the pivot points especially the lower bushing area on the loader arms and the top pivot points.
  3. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

You might want to take a look at my forum (Accurate Machinery) listed under sponsors, I have posted specific pictures of cracked Bobcat loader arms. I also have on my website www.accuratemachinery.com complete details about how I inspect skid steer loaders before I purchase them. Good luck finding a 873 without cracked loader arms!
  4. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Thank you for that site! thats great
  5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Those 873's were not the greatest, good power, but the Oil cooled engines were pigs and the loaders were kinda crappy.
  6. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

I think that there were a lot of improvements made to the Deutz over the years. The biggest issue comes from people that do not change the timing belt. The early Deutz machines had leaky head gaskets and were a problem. I noticed with the last T200's that I had with 4500 hours that they always started well and didn't smoke. I still would prefer the Kubota. 873's, 863's and the T200's all came with the Deutz turbo charged, oil cooled diesel. I haven't seen it but I think some early T250's might have had the Deutz as well.
  7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I know some of the early s250's had deutz.
  8. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

The Deutz is pretty good motor besides the head gaskets, if yours go bad don't go to the dealer, they will rape you on price, do it yourself or find a mechanic on the side, it is A very simple procedure. Hope that it has the standard gages, the higher end gages were problems right away. watch for cracks and welds, good grading machines, and good for lifting for there time.