1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to look for when looking at used equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mottster, Jun 1, 2003.

1. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

I'm going to be looking for a used 32-38" w/b mower. Not really what sure but prolly just whatever i can find that'll work for my needs. What questions should be asked when i'm calling around and what should i look for when i look at the machines? What are average hours that commercial equipment that are turned in for newer ones usually have? how many hours is too much no matter what?

FLMOWER LawnSite Member

You should ask about age of mower, brand, hydro or belts, age of belts, hour meter, and general conition. When you look at one I would be sure it starts while cold in less than 2 pulls idles well, has full range of throttle, drives well, and does not leak. I would also check blade spindles for play, belts for play, all wheels have good bearings, tires are in good shape, and all grease fittings are in place. And also make sure it starts while hot in less than 2 pulls. Good Luck