1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to look for.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsr2741, Sep 15, 2003.

1. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Going to look at a Billy Goat truck loader tomorrow. It was listed in the paper and the guy wants $1200. Has the 16 hp vangaurd engine and he said it was a couple years old. Said he'd used it about 5 times and the commercial account he bought it for didn't pan out.

Any type of wear and tear I should be looking for in case it was used more than 5 times.
  2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the oil !!! I once bought a mower that didn't have the oil chnaged in 6 years. Also make sure the oil wasn't just put in b4 u got there because that means that he never really changed it he's just making it look good for you. Also check the air filter make sure it's nott too dirty but just how it should look.

Good Luck.
  3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Check the fan for damage......Make sure it wasnt 5 hours of sucking up gravel.
  4. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, but unfortunately this guy never would show up. Went there Monday evening and he wasn't there. I called him and he said he was at the hardware store and would be back in 15 or 20 minutes. Not good I told him and I had other appointments to tend to. Told him I'd try and stop by in the a.m. and look at it but the natives got restless at work therefore I didn't make it.

Called him later and told him I could stop by after work, he said he'd call me when he was enroute to his house, he did and said he'd be there in 15 or 20 minutes. I said good, I'll get there about the time you do. 20 minutes after I get there he's still a no show so I left. Guess I'll just buy a new one.

Thanks for the info though.