What to look out for in a used WB...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sauls1686, Aug 15, 2003.

1. This question is probably posted on here some time but I din feel like looking.

Im just getting started and am looking to buy a walkbehind. Seeing that i still have to buy a truck so i can quit pulling my $75.00 snowmobile trailer with a 91 Grand Marquis, I can only spend about $1,200 on a mower.

Sooo that means USED. I guess I want a 48" Scag belt drive walkbehind. It doesnt have to be a Scag, but I want something like that.

Im looking at used walkbehinds and I want to know what are some trouble spots to look for.

ALSO. What size WB do i need?? Right now im only mowing 9 lawns with a 6 yr old Toro BBC 3spd 6.5 HP. and a new personal pace toro. (it wasnt my choice but a vy vy good deal!)

Some lawns I will still have to use my 21s on for most or all of the lawn but I can live with that.

My lawns are mostly little mb the average is 75X200. Almost all take under an hour with the 21.

SO im trying to decided whethere to get a 32,36,48,52,60??????

HELP! Whats the most practical?? I was gettin ready to buy a Giant Mow 32 but when ran it it rolled the one drive belt in the parking lot. Brand new? what peice of junk......

SAULS

2. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the first year for me cutting with my 48 wb hydro & I can put that thing in all sorts of tight places. It will go anywhere. It's enough mower to handle bigger properties just fine too. I've got a 32 belt drive but use it on just a few properties with small gates to the backyards.

On tiny lawns, that 48 will knock them out in no time flat. I love it. I'll bet you have time to just about double your accounts in the same amount of time if you start mowing with a 48. You'll freak.

As for make & what's the best buy, you'll need input from other guys here that have put lots of equipment in the field. Demo whatever any mower you're considering mowing, of course & have a mechanic check it out first too........just like buying a used car.

3. wobblez

wobblez LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

to start out with and you having only 9 yards i would go with a 36 wb. that way you can get it in most back yards.
    we have toros and the thing i do not like about the 32s are they have one blade that is 32 long and very very easy to bend the 36 has two short blades.
    the 52 and up i would only get if you have very large yards to do like a acre on up with wide open areas.
    hope this helps you with the size.

4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I agree!!Thats some good "straight dope"!!;)

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one too, an 86 garage kept since new, still smells new, ice cold A/C. (but its not my work truck).

Question: My springs sag in the rear with one person in the back seat or about 100 lbs in the trunk. Your headlights must point to the sky with a trailer. Do you have air shocks or special springs?

Also, its really easy to change the gears in a Ford 8.8 axle. Cheap ring and pinion sets are all over EBAY from the mustang crowd. You could find 3.55 gears for $50 and that car would become a towing powerhouse.

Just remember not to use overdrive towing, you'll smoke that weak AOD trans.

KB

6. mm member i said a $75.00 snowmobile trailer? its reeaaallly light. Im probably gonna have to get a new trailer for my WB the springs are weak on my trailer.

Yeah the Marqs bottomed out but who cares? 183k and still runs good!

Just passed inspection!

(uhhh its my dads car but i have an 88 sentra--u think that would b better to pull with!!?!?)

7. Gr grass n Hi tides

My 32 has two 16 inch blades. The 48 has three 16 inch blades. I buy one size & can't mix anything up. Plus, 36ers will NOT go through the gates the backyards on my properties. As far as I'm concerned the 32 is a better fit. Mine is a cutting machine with 14 hp Kawi. End of file.

8. wobblez

wobblez LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

i was talking about the 32 toro which has one blade.
    i try not to talk about what i do not have or have not used.

9. Gr grass n Hi tides

wobblez - Sorry dude. Truly. I re-read & sounds like I was harsh. Didn't mean it that way........I'm sitting here all pumped up getting good news (all sorts) pretty much all night long. Just got the juices flowing.

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

First thing I would look for is "Does it run?" LOL - Sorry - could not help it.

Seriously - "If it runs, buy it - take it home, and put synthetic oil in the engine and enjoy it for the next million years."