What to mow 10.05 acres with?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by nate22, Mar 16, 2006.

1. nate22

nate22 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

We just bought 10.05 acres that we plan to build a house on. There are no trees on it yet, but I do plan to plant some later on. It was previously pasture land so it's primarily planted in coastal. I can think of a lot of one time uses for a tractor starting off, but I don't think I would use it on a regular basis other than mowing. So I am thinking of a commercial grade 60" ZTR. Would a ZTR be better than a tractor for this amount of acreage?

PROMOWERCO LawnSite Member

ZTR Will be the fastest way to cut that amount of property riding tractor you will be there all day
  3. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Think about a Huslter, Scag, Lesco, Dixie Chopper, Ferris for your property there are many good brands out there to think about. Good Luck with your Decisison
  4. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

Maybe a diesel z with 72" deck.John Deere 997,Kubota ZD28F?Just my
    2 cents worth.:cool2:
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

tractor pulling an 11' gang mower. Plus you can use the tractor for other things. Buy a back hoe and put in tile for water rent yourself out to bury water and septic lines etc etc. Tractor will pay for it self, a mower will only cut grass faster
  6. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I agree 100%. With property that size, you will find many uses for a tractor. Fix it up with a few attachments and you can do many things. Mowing, tilling, grading dirt or a gravel driveway, removing snow, planting trees, and many more.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Get a ZTR with a 72'' deck. Should be able to mow all 10 acres in about 2-3 hours straight. Diesel or gas, its your preference. Hustler, Scag, Exmark, Deere, they are all good brands in no particular order.
  9. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

tractor with all attachments new can run upwards of 38,000
    ztr w diesel maybe 9-10,000 ( depending on the dealer and model). big difference in price
  10. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie Chopper or a Scag diesel will do.:)