1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to pay an inside/outside sales rep?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by Green Sweep, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

This thread is pertaining to the lawn fertilization part of the business only.

I am looking to hire a full time salesman for the upcoming season. Or, promote an existing employee. This sales position will be inside and outside. Outside consisting of going door to door in select neighborhoods where we have a high concentration of customers. Ideally, the salesman would speak to the homeowners. If not, then leave literature.
    Inside sales would include following up on leads, calling our marketing database. Calling cancels. Upselling existing customers, etc.

I have no idea what kind of base and commission to pay?? Looking for industry standards and I will exceed them. Any former Scotts or Trugreen sales guys out there that can provide insight on how to pay?
  2. citywidefw

citywidefw LawnSite Member

I am also looking into hiring that kind of position also. The advise I received was you dont want to give too much of a salary because you want them to be hungry. They should be rewarded for the sales and not just holding the position.

I would like to know for my market in the Dallas fort worth Texas