1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what to pay crew leaders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman99, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Mowman99

Mowman99 LawnSite Member

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but my crew leader wants more money. He started last April (2006) at $9 per hour as a laborer, then I moved him into a crew leader within 4 months. I raised him up a little at a time and now he makes $13.50 per hour. His duties are:
    * Get to the shop at least 15 minutes earlier than anyone else (which he doesn't do)
    * Make sure the truck is ready to go, filled with gas with all equipment for the day (which he doesn't do, his crew usually does this)
    * Fills out route sheets each day (usually does it at end of the month)
    * Goes behind to check on crew to make sure they did what he ask
    * Keeps up with what is needed on each account
    * Keep's a check on the machines & trucks (checks oil, blows out filters etc)
    * Shapen Blades and does minor maintenance & repars.

What do you guys pay your crew leaders? What all are his duties?
  2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like he needs to live up to his job description before he comes asking for more money. But what do I know, I'm solo. Seriously, I'd tell him I'll consider it when he starts handling things properly.
  3. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Wow...:dizzy: $13.50... My crew leader is at $20/hr and busting my chops for more... I'll prolly give him another $2 extra an hour.

My office manager is at around $25/hr.

I guess different parts of the continent make a difference.

Btw, the dollars are almost on par so that doesn't account for the difference.

4. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes but local cost of living and economy are to be taken into account.
  5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

this is Christmas lights, not mowing, but...I pay my crew leaders 12 bucks per hour plus % bonus on the dollars they produce. they get 1/2 the bonus at Christmas and the other half when takedowns are done. It works out to another 2 bucks per hour or so.
  6. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Point taken. True that here in Alberta it's expensive to live period.
    It doesn't help that there is a red hot economy and not enough workers. That's why I charge through the nose for just about anything we do.

7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you dont think I was trying to be confrontational. I was just saying that In my area 13 dollars an hour would have you living in a poor house but not more than a 100 miles from me 13 dollars per hour would buy a nice house.

Our labor market is over saturated, and good help is all but impossible to find. Reasons I stay solo.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My crew leaders make $22.50 an hour and run their show totally pretty much.
  9. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Take this information, write it down on a clipboard and have it in front of you when you two sit down to discuss.

"Ok, you want a raise right? If you can increase my profits, I can afford to increase your wages!"

"I have here a list of your duties and to be honest, you are not doing the job that I gave you and yet you are asking for a raise when you are not completing your duties now."

"However, I am a fair main, here is a list of your duties (give him a copy) and when I feel that you honestly are working hard for me and deserve a raise, you will get it. However, by not doing all of your assigned duties is not the way to get more money."

"Lets sit down here again in a couple months and re-evaluate your assigned duties. When I feel that they are being done in the manner that i've asked, I will be more than happy to give you that raise."

"Remember, this does not mean getting others to do your work for you. Your job is also to make sure that the workers are doing their job and doing a quality job of it."

"Just remember, i'm not going to pay you more money to do less work, but I will pay you more money to shoulder more responsibility and when you prove to me you can do this, I will return the favor with a raise. Deal?"

Then watch him and also watch others to see a candidate for another crew leader. You might just have to do a reassignment of duties if he doesn't change and do all of his duties.

Hope this helps.
  10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I would sure like to know who could by a house at 13/hr.