what to pay for lawns from other busi

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by capescaper, Sep 4, 2003.

1. capescaper

capescaper LawnSite Member

what is a fair price to pay for yards from other business that are wanting out i have given first 2 cuts to one at their request another said that was to cheap

2. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I took some accounts from a company a few years ago. I did all the work and he gave me half of what he was charging. The following season they were sent a letter stating that I was going to be taking over the accounts.
    This worked well because there was no risk involved. I got paid for all the work I did. Also if I had lost any accounts I wasn't out any money. There was no need for me to front any money to pay for the accounts. It was kind of like he was paying me to take the accounts.
    This was a company I worked at for 5 years so we knew each other and I knew I could trust him to pay me and give me the accounts the following season.
    I am not sure if a company you don't know would do this for you but it is worth a shot. Remember to get it in writing. Good Luck.
    By the way don't do anything for free.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i took over some accounts from a friend going to college, i gave him 4 times the weekly cut price for each account. It leaves me with about 5 weeks of cutting plus leaves to make money off those accounts for the rest of this season.

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If the other LCO wants to get rid of the accounts, there might be something wrong with them ( complainers, slow to pay, etc. ). If they are good accounts and he just wants to downsize, maybe the equivilant of a 1 month service fee would be a reasonable price.

5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

If they want out, perhaps these lawns are not as profitable as they thought they would be. Will you have to re-price them?
    When I moved out of state 10 years ago, I gave my accounts to another guy. I wanted out, so I got nothing. I had loyal customers, and wanted them to have good service. I took him around, introduced him to everyone, he took over in September at my prices, made any adjustments in price the following spring. He kept everyone except the cheapskate lawyer.
    This guy went from a small operation to full time overnight. He bought a second hand Scag to keep up with all the new work. If I had charged him for the lawns, he might not have been able to buy the machine.
    Crawdad

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

10 - 20% of the total annual contract

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -