What to pay new guy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Dec 24, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I've been solo for about 4 years now and it's time to hire someone. I have this guy that has some experience and seems pretty responsible. He'll be in one of my trucks by himself and doing about 35 lawns a week to start.

Do I pay him by the lawn, or by the hour?

If I pay him by the hour, what would be a fair starting wage?

Thanks

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

May I suggest that you have him work with you for at least a week. Let him drive to see how he cares for your truck. Also, observe his work habits so you can give him some pointers on what habits he has (hopefully good as well as bad). Show him how you do your work & let him know that he must keep up the same quality as that is what is expected by your clients. A guy with that type of experience should fetch low end around $12.50, high end around $18.00 per hour. It all depends on perks, benefits, vacation, etc.

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Depends on what end of the state your in. Western mass is lower than boston area. Start him of at $11 per hour and tell him you will bump it up once you see what he can do and knows your accounts. It would suck if you paid him top dollar and he was a POS.

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on what he will be doing. Basic lawn care here in IL starts out around $8-$9 dollars an hour and landscapers start out around $12-$15 an hr.

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

$9/hr for a laborer(no License) $11/hr for a laborer(with License)

Thats my rates.

6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

$12 - $15/hr is a good starting with license

7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

My thoughts, also. :usflag:

8. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

I also agree with 12-15 an hour.

9. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

Our general labor starts at $6.50 here in Arkansas and will never be working alone always supervised, Guy driving the truck starts at $10.00 to $17.50, Our area you get cheap labor, which the cost of living is cheap.

Tim