1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to pay someone to use there there truck?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jray3369, Apr 5, 2006.

1. jray3369

jray3369 LawnSite Member

I want to know what to pay some one to use there truck to pull a trailer with a zero turn rider, walk behind, trimmer and bp blower. Equipment is about two years old and i have the trailer as well. I'm getting about $65 an hour for this equipment.

They are maybe going to use their truck with their auto ins. I have buss ins and all.

This is just a thought and I have another truck i just don't know if i want to keep it running.

They are getting about 10 and hour to help me now.

Let me know if you would, Thanks Jordan
  2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

You should atleast pay all gas, ins, plus another 50 bucks a week. If he excepts then it's fair. If not and its cost effective ask him how much.
  3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a truck in my area, I will take you up on your price.

4. wski4fun

I wouldn't do it but for someone making 10 bucks an hour they might think it's fair. If thier truck payment is 400 bucks then they pay half plus all other expenses. Like I said, I wouldn't do it but the guy making 10 bucks an hr might.
  5. jray3369

jray3369 LawnSite Member

That doesn't seem too bad. I i have my truck in service thats what it would be any way. Depending what goes wrong with it. It has a new motor and tranny but leaks oil. Needs new gasket and has no inside door panels or window cranks. Boards hold the windows up. Its an 87 dodge D250. Its some its job and is tired.

Any other ideas will be considered.

I was going to do the fuel thing and thought about raising the hourly rate. I understand maintenance! Well thank you so far. Jordan
  6. jray3369

jray3369 LawnSite Member

Oh his truck payment is around 300 i think and he has i want to say 24 month or less left.
  7. wski4fun

I think for tax perposes it might be better to pay expenses rather then increase him hourly. Not sure how you do your books but depending on that it might be worthwhile talking to your accountant if you have one. Just a thought.
  8. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

i dunno i help my buddy plow snow and he gives me 45 an hour for my truck. i make 18 per hour using my bosses trucks so 10 just seems to low
  9. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i would say pay him fuel, and his truck payment each month, also pay part of any repair bills. but what i really dont get is, if your doing this for a living, why dont you just get a new truck? maybe i didnt understand your post?
  10. jray3369

jray3369 LawnSite Member

yeah i sub for plowing and get 45 as well, they bought my plow for me and i can do a few of my own aswell. Good Deal. But thats why i dont know where to go from here.

And like I said this is just for thought.

I have to sit some people down and see where I’m going with this and stuff. I just don’t want to throw a number down and be too high or low. I don’t want to come off as a cheap ... or rip myself off.

This may work more than one way. I have a small mowing business:

2 MTD 48" Walk Behinds, one with a standing wheels
    1 Club Cadet Tank M54
    2 Shindawa Line Trimmers
    1 Back Pack Blower Stihl BR400
    1 Craftsman hand blower
    and a 8x12 Trailer w/ LED's and so on

I am going to hire this guy to run so to speak my business and go into yard installation or i will do both.

I just got (not bought) a car hauler/construction trailer, tilt 18ft and a new CAT 336B with a cab and the VTS system.

I’m going with a local home builder co and doing rough grades and finals. Temp gravel drives and back filling up along the new homes. And I get first bids of an estimate for putting in there new lawn.

Now... I need to see what to pay some one to do the mowing and figure out what i should get for doing the grading and such. I am using their equipment. My truck.

I have a 1996 Ford F-350 with the 7.3 Diesel in nice condition.

My hourly wage is undetermined. They are going to try and stick me at about $10hr as well to start. I have hours of experience on a multiple skid loaders and they just need to see me in action. They get $70 and hour for that piece of equipment. What should I get? Same as far as Fuel, ins, maintenance, and ...?

I’m sorry to be so confusing but I only have about three days mowing and i am thinking of going to lawn installation as well for more cash flow. I can get close to 40hrs a week and I get to use the skid loader for side jobs on the weekends. So I will have the mowing money. My working money, and the ability to put in yards as side jobs.

What would you all consider?