what to plant by a walkway????

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bone1, Mar 25, 2008.

1. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

i hope this is the right place for this question! i've got an area by a walkway and beside the house that is 18"s wide and about 20' long. right now it just has mulch down with nothing planted. sorry i didn't snap any pics. what would you guys recommend planting in this area? thanks for any help!

2. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the application, I think Liriope looks good in applications such as that, IMO.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Good choice! I'd suggest inter-dispersing some stella D'ore daylillies every three feet with the viragated variety around them with the deeper green forming a frame around the whole. Both the daylilly and the Liriope would require very little maintenance and are drought resistant.

4. FIRESCOOBY

Thanks for the ego booster for me:). Been trying to "beef up" my knowledge of plants and applications. Still got a LONG way to go though.

5. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

thanks guys! oh yeah, would you guys border that area? or let the walkway border it? because when it rains or the wind blows the mulch goes all over the front yard. thanks again!

6. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

oh yeah, the liriope does look good! would you plant the ones with blooms or without?will it stay green in the winter (like a shrub)? what about the daylillies? how long do they stay growing? one more question( MAYBE), how far would you guys plant the liriope away from each other in that long span? sorry for so many questions, just starting to learn all of this at one time! thanks again!

7. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

where can i learn more about plants? any good books? how are you learning firescooby?

8. FIRESCOOBY

It's be much easier if you had a picture. You may have to build the area up with some soil, cut a good deep edge in to hold the mulch in.

As far as distance between Liriopes. I usually space them every 2 feet and (to me) it leaves a nice clean end product and doesn't look too "busy".

As far as learning about plants. I've gotten several different books/ magazines and continually study them. I also spend about 20-30 minutes surfing the web looking at pictures of different plants and reading about them. I try to do this either nightly or every other night. For me, I have to continually study them or I forget everything.

9. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

thanks for all the info! i'll try to get a pic tomorrow!

10. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

here's some pics! what would look good where it turns at the driveway? and you can see that all the mulch blows all over the yard. i'm thinking about pulling that shrub up too? too close to the house. anyone know what that shrub is? what do you all think? thanks for the help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]