What to power a 72"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tlcgrounds, Oct 27, 2000.

1. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

I have two 60" lazers and am looking at a 72" I've seen all the latest in engine match ups but our unit will be mowing less than perfect wide open acreage and i don't think the unit will last as long a a desiel or a liquid cooled engine. Do any of you guys think a 25 horse Kohler will push a six footer for 2000 hours. I hate to be looking at a Kohler I only have one other Kohler and the is a 25 horse on my lazer everything else are Kawasaki's.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Get the new 72" 27 hp LC Kawasaki Lazer. Demo one and you'll be surprised at the power and quietness. That engine WAY overpowers my 60" Lazer. Hardly ever comes up on the govenor. I get 1.2 g/hr too! The Diesel Lazers aren't out quite yet and they look more complicated and I myself, am uncertain about the Daihatsu/Briggs engine.

3. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

You might try a DC s'burb'n turb'n. It's got two 20 hp kohlers, and beleive me there's not another 72" that will mow more grass than this machine. I'm averaging less than 2 gallons of gas per hour, which I don't think is too bad considering how much grass it will mow per hour. There's no substitute for horsepower. Lynn

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If you want to mow quickly,the 25hp will not be enough.It is enough for a 60-but i wouldnt want it on a 72.I wish i had more than the 25 on my DC 60".I would personally rather have a 23 kawi on a 72 than the 25 command.I dont know if it will last 2000 hrs-it seems like you are taking a chance when you buy a 25-it might be great and run a long time-or it might be like mine with no power-blown gaskets-burning oil.I have a 2000-so dont let them tell you kohler has fixed the problems-they told me the same story-then they ate there words,as I filled there shop with smoke only a month later from the oil it burned.I have a friend with 2 72" DC suburban turbans-he loves them and has had good luck with them.

5. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

John, thanks for the tip on removing the 1/2 inch spacers on the DC decks. I took them off both my flatlander and s'burb'n turb'n and I don't think you could scalp with either one now if you tried. Thanks again, Lynn

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Did you used to own Grasshopper mowers?

7. WALKERMOW

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

the Grasshopper 928D is the best mower i have been on ..it has a 72" cut powered by a 28 hp kubota diesel..no lack of power there i promise!! it has a top speed of 10 mph ..this thing sure cuts awsome..demo one if possible you'll love it

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Your welcome Lynn,I owe that thanks to Eric@ELM,he told me after I bought mine.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Get the 72" Chopper with the 41 HP Yanmar diesel. It will do the job and fast. It's also sips fuel. :D

BTW, your welcome Lynn and John. The 1/2" spacers are the first things I take off of a new Chopper.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

If its power you want, then take that Chinook helicopter engine off that Dixie Chopper and stick that bad boy on your mower!