What to pull a 42" aerator with?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerdave, Aug 21, 2006.

1. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

I have a 42" pull behind Lesco aerator that I have been pulling with my Walker MDD mower. I does just fine in I am on the level or going down hill. If I start going up an incline, the Walker will hardly pull it. I am afraid I will tear out the hydro transmision if I don't use something that is more for pulling other than mowing. What does everyone else use for the pull types?

2. RCA

RCA LawnSite Member

I'm wondering the same thing... I'm considering getting either a Bluebird 36" pull behind or either the Lesco Model you've got. I really don't want to spend ten thousand dollars on a compact tractor. I'm assuming you want something that's 42" wide or narrower to pull it with. I asked a similar question awhile back an got a couple of answers but not much detail. I've even considered getting a Home Depot type John Deere lawn tractor just to pull an aerator. I would assume it would take at least a 20hp engine to do the trick. Sorry I don't have an answer for you...but I wanted to put my two cents in.

3. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

I use the yamaha atv for this. I also use for pulling my 65 gal sprayer and snow plowing sidewalks. Basically any 4 x 4 utilty atv with decent hp.

4. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

Thanks anyway!!

5. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 48" trac vac aerator with electric lift that I am modifing to use as a pull behind aerator. I will use my 52" 23Hp Wright Stander to pull it. I have seen a guy here in KC that used his Stander to pull the Lesco aerator. I believe he use a ball and hitch attachment.

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I pull a 48" behind my JD 737 with a 23 hp. 300 lbs of weight on the tray for penitration, it pulls great up any hill, I put a weight kit on the front of my z to keep it on the ground. Hydros are made to work don't be afraid to use them.

7. anotherscrub

anotherscrub LawnSite Member

What size atv is needed to pull the lesco 42? Do you need a standard 1" hitch receiver on the back?

8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:weightlifter: we have a 60" lesco tow-behind and we use our dixie chopper with 0 problems, and thats with 250lbs on the tray.