What to purchase next?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BLKSS, Aug 24, 2007.

1. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

hey all,
    ive been using my truck, craftsman mower, craftsman edger/trimmer, and stihl handheld blower to cut my lawns. ive aquired about 8 accounts with this equipment. my question is what should i buy next trailer, walkbehind, backpack blower, new comm. edger/trimmer. i see other LCO's with there big trailers packed with equipment and wonder to myself how am i going to compete with them? all is welcome
    thanks
    BLKSS

2. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

get the mower. build up some cash flow then start purchasing handhelds. just because those professionals are luggin around all that stuff doesnt really make a difference. if you are nice to your customers and do the best job you can possibly do, then build a relationship with them. your customers will become loyal, if there not hard headed, and yeahh..... but there will ALWAYS be competition in the lawn care industry.

3. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

I agree with DillonsLawnCare. Get a commercial-grade walk-behind. From there, you can then purchase commercial weed-eaters, blowers, trailer, truck, etc. The possibilities are endless. We all gotta start small, but keep working hard, build up your accounts, and everything will (should) fall into place. Don't worry about your competition. There are plenty of lawns out there for everybody.

4. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

by walkbehind do you mean like exmark 36 inch or like toro/honda 22 inch?

5. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

It all depends on what your needs are. All my lawns are over 1/3 acre, so I never even touch anything less than a 40" deck. I you are working smaller properties a 36 will give you an advantage over the 21 in terms of manuverability, cut quality, and the ability to use a sulky. You should look into getting as much mower as you can, but knowing what will work best for you. I would look into a exmark/toro/scag 36. Also look at the Quick 36 (on sale now) mower, it may be the 'bang for the buck' you need, giving you money for some handhelds too. I almost bought one before I got an amazing deal on a used mower.

I.M.O. - look for good quality new or used equipment, and try and go hydro if you can, and be sure to take it for a test drive.

6. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

awsome thanks

7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

If you buy a 36" mower you will need a trailer or some quality ramps to get the mower in and out of your truck. So my suggestion is to buy a trailer first. A 5 x 8 should be able to handle any mower you get later on.

8. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

id say buy a nice used 36 and build a nice set of ramps....ive had mine for 5yrs and they are still strong...i got the ramp kit from lowes...good luck

9. SlowMow

SlowMow LawnSite Member

I like the idea of buying a trailer....A trailer can be used for other things than mowing, and if the mowing thing doesn't work out, you have a trailer. Also if lawn mowing doesn't work out you'd be stuck with a lot of equipment to maintain YOUR lawn with. Just my opinion. I would go with a trailer.

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Buy commercial or it won't be long before you hate doing lawncare because your equipment keeps breaking down.